Traveller Fiction

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JNJ
Stoat

Traveller Fiction

Postby JNJ » Thu May 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Anybody had time to read one of the 4 new traveller short stories already published by Mongoose and would be kind enough to provide some feedback or (short) review ? Writing and intrique quality ? very connected or not to Traveller universe ? Learned new things about the Traveller setting ? Provides scenario ideas ? ...

Thanks
JNJ
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Traveller Fiction

Postby paltrysum » Thu May 16, 2019 3:42 pm

I read Chris Jackson's "A Warrior's Soul" and really enjoyed it. It takes place on a world that happens to be a key spot in the Drinax campaign, which made the story very relatable. Well written and fun. I've also read Martin Dougherty's "The Dimenos Problem," which was also great. Looking forward to reading them all.
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
JNJ
Stoat

Postby JNJ » Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:42 pm
I read Chris Jackson's "A Warrior's Soul" and really enjoyed it. It takes place on a world that happens to be a key spot in the Drinax campaign, which made the story very relatable. Well written and fun. I've also read Martin Dougherty's "The Dimenos Problem," which was also great. Looking forward to reading them all.
Thanks for your feedback Paltrysum ... I'll read them. Already read a novel By Martin (Storm Shadows IIRW) and it was very well done.

Got to finish Dumarest Saga first ! ... in the middle of 5th tome and greatly enjoying it.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Thu May 16, 2019 7:12 pm

JNJ wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:11 pm
Thanks for your feedback Paltrysum ... I'll read them. Already read a novel By Martin (Storm Shadows IIRW) and it was very well done.

Got to finish Dumarest Saga first ! ... in the middle of 5th tome and greatly enjoying it.
Great to know. I have been slowly collecting the Dumarest of Terra novels but have yet to read any of them. I've hit a few treasure troves at various used bookstores. I've been reading more current stuff for the past few years like Banks "Culture" series, Reynolds' "Revelation Space," and the popular "Expanse" series. Just started Adrian Tchaikovsky's "Children of Time," which so far is excellent. I'll be looking to get into some of that old-school goodness like Dumarest and Flandry in the near future, though.
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
Old School
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Mon May 20, 2019 1:21 am

I couldn’t get into the Dumarest saga. Read two but no plans to continue. Interesting stories, especially for Traveller fans, but there were no characters (including the protagonist) whom I could relate to or sympathize with.