Help me find what I need

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Help me find what I need

Postby JMISBEST » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:16 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can pay, if need be, to download charts for generating Pirate Ships and later Pirate Bands in A planned up coming Campaign based around the idea of freelance Pirate Hunting?
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Help me find what I need

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Aren't your Travellers all gazillionaires? Why would they need charts for, other than to get more lucky rich/richer/richest?
HalC
Mongoose

Postby HalC » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:09 am

Hello Jim,
Question for you - what specifically is the flavor of your campaign? Sometimes, the best approach is to create what you need to begin with. Looking for ideas? Here is a good place to find some. :)

I could rattle on and on about my own campaign - set in the year 99 (and the plans I have for pirates in my campaign, the Third Imperium etc) - but I won't. This is YOUR campaign, not mine.

So, what do you want to see? What is the nature of your "needs"? Do you want something that makes rational sense? Where is your action taking place?

Hal

PS - once you start giving answers to questions, I can either add more here in this thread, or I can simply talk to you via email or Fantasy Grounds. Your choice. :)
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:45 am

HalC wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:09 am
Hello Jim,
Question for you - what specifically is the flavor of your campaign? Sometimes, the best approach is to create what you need to begin with. Looking for ideas? Here is a good place to find some. :)

I could rattle on and on about my own campaign - set in the year 99 (and the plans I have for pirates in my campaign, the Third Imperium etc) - but I won't. This is YOUR campaign, not mine.

So, what do you want to see? What is the nature of your "needs"? Do you want something that makes rational sense? Where is your action taking place?

Hal

PS - once you start giving answers to questions, I can either add more here in this thread, or I can simply talk to you via email or Fantasy Grounds. Your choice. :)
Basically The Pcs have a grudge against Pirates, start with a loaned interest free ship by a ally that hates pirates even more then them and use it to hunt Pirates, use the money, rewards and bounties to get better belongings, crew and money making investments and eventually over 25 years or more build up a fleet of pirate hunters, most of them Ex Pirates and/or Ex Criminals, then capture a pirate who is so infamous that the fame and rewards let them retire in luxury

Thing is I've never ran this type of campaign before and as I've only done 1 campaign in the last 11 years where I've used nothing but official stuff I'm struggling big time. Can I have hints, tips and advise please?, Also links to sights where I can generate Pirate Ships and much later tiny Pirate Fleets
M J Dougherty
Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:13 am

Official stuff won't work with your usual style of play. Given incidents you've related in the past withoin a couple of sessions your players will have the best equipment, super-psions and a fleet of ships with hundreds of loyal minions. The offical materials were not written with that level of reward in mind.
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:20 am

M J Dougherty wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:13 am
Official stuff won't work with your usual style of play. Given incidents you've related in the past withoin a couple of sessions your players will have the best equipment, super-psions and a fleet of ships with hundreds of loyal minions. The offical materials were not written with that level of reward in mind.
I'm trying to break away from my usual style of play and am asking for ideas on how to do that and suggestions for my intended campaign
M J Dougherty
Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:56 am

Well then. You need to generate sensible characters with mo more than 3-4 terms, no allowing huge stats or rerolling until they get lucky. Definitely no vast portfolios.

And focus on details, not vast sweeps of time until the next random roll on the Big Money Chart. Roleplay chasing rumours in the bars until they have a lead on one pirate ship, then plan to deal with it and play it out in detail. Be sensible with the rewards - a few thousand credits is quite a lot for a pirate. Millions should be all but unherard of.

Try playing something like Flatlined straight out of the book and see what this scale of play feels like.