Are they too ambitious

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Are they too ambitious

Postby JMISBEST » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm worried that A GM who I've never mentioned before here's players are too ambitious. They've been playing for just short of a week past 30 in-game years, Drinax was officially recognized as the strongest of the 4 lesser nations just short of a month past 4 years before the current in-game. They have ambitions to by the 40th anniversary to have risen so that Drinax and The Floranni are the joint weakest of the 4 major nations and they also hope that by the 55th anniversary then plan for The Floranni to officially recognized as the weakest and for Drinax to officially be recognized as the 2nd weakest of the 4 major powers for a period of at least 6 months prior to the 55th anniversary. So be honest and tell me do you agree with me and this groups GM?, are her players far too ambitious?
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Are they too ambitious

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:41 pm

Just have the Referee and Travellers play Marches Adventure 1: High and Dry. Problems solved.
M J Dougherty
Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:16 pm

So this is ANOTHER group you know who are playing Drinax who've been at it for game-decades? Do you know anyone who plays the game like, you know, everyone else does?
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Postby MonkeyX » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Apart from people o these boards I’ve never even spoken to anyone else playing through Drinax right now.
M J Dougherty
Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:04 pm

This isn't a question other people can answer because it depends on play style. If someone can roll on a custom table and get six battleships, then these ambitions are pitiful. If your players are scraping credits together to get one hotel room so they can all get a shower for the first time in a fortnight, then yes,it's a bit ambitious.

This does sound like you've found YET ANOTHER group that is playing Drinax in a bucketfuls-of-credits sort of way. Incredible really; I've never met anyone who tried to play Traveller the way you do, and you seem to know several groups who all do. Do you know any gamers who aren't playing Drinax and who are maybe playing the game at a more normal level - ie where Cr500 is worth having and the Travellers aren't all super-psions, warlords, admirals and nobles with 17.447 billion credits in their portfolio?
HalC
Mongoose

Postby HalC » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:43 am

Not playing any pre-made modules, but I'm running two characters who aren't super rich and don't have access to excessive wealth. One is a former Ministry of Justice Marshal, the other is a Former Jarhead (ok ok, once a jarhead, always a jarhead) MP officer patterned lightly off of Major Turner from Jack Reacher: Never go back. They're aboard a 1500 dTon heavy freighter on a mission to transport high value star port material in an effort to upgrade Mora's starport in the year 99. To the rest of the universe, they look like a corporation that formed in order to create a speculative trade mission throughout the Deneb and just a few subsectors of the Spinward Marches.

Their second cover was sold too well however, as the pirates have converged in an effort to steal the IMS HARGOTH. With 10 double laser turrets, Jump 2 and Manuever 1.1 (using GURPS TRAVELLER to design the hull) - the ship would make for a nice BIG pirate ship someday.

My wife was NOT happy when her character just had her commission reactivated unexpectedly. An agent aboard the IMS HARGOTH woke up the Frozen watch (containing 1 Lt and 5 Marines) and was shocked when the butter-bar told her "Um Ma'am? Seeing as we're the same rank, your time in grade exceeds mine. That makes you senior officer. I'm placing myself and my command at your disposal."

She's not prepared to handle that kind of responsibility, and having an ex-ministry marshal working at her side as they race against time to discover what is happening and why (one bomb blew disabling their jump drive - with the bomb having been placed inside the Jump Drive coupling device before it was even installed in the hull). Now they're limping with a jury rigged drive searching for a class A starport that can permanently repair the damage.

So, to answer your question? No - not all campaigns are run where the players have access to untold amounts of wealth. ;)