"Nozzles" on the Element cruisers

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: "Nozzles" on the Element cruisers

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:44 am

Sigtrygg wrote: The dogfighting rules are pure cinematic tosh and have no place in a game with Newtonian movement.
I believe we can get something like a dogfight, if we somehow manage to get a couple of craft very close with near identical velocity vectors. There is no other way they could hurt each other with fixed mounts.

Sigtrygg wrote: But personal prejudice aside, to line up a shot with a fixed mount the fighter has to point that mount at the enemy and stop using its main drive as it take the shot, thus when a fighter shoots it can not gain a maneuvering advantage since it can not accelerate with its main engines.
I don't see why you have to stop accelerating, but you have to point the craft directly at the enemy. With vectored thrust we can accelerate in at least slightly different direction.

Sigtrygg wrote: The advantage is with the weapon system in a mount that can move independently of vessel movement, like a turret perhaps?
Quite, and in the dogfight system turrets have a large advantage: they can always fire whereas fixed mounts can basically only fire if you win the dogfight.
Linwood
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:48 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:44 am
I believe we can get something like a dogfight, if we somehow manage to get a couple of craft very close with near identical velocity vectors. There is no other way they could hurt each other with fixed mounts.
So - not the “fur ball” of the WWII aerial dogfights. Maybe more like a swirl around a common vector?
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:06 pm

When they talk about reducing main thrust to turn, they could be saying that the thrust budget has to be split between acceleration and turning, or that adding more thrust takes you over safe limits (if you accelerate at 9G then yaw, the pilot gets 9G + the yaw)

I agree that you don't need to cut acceleration completely but it will affect maneuvering if you don't have perfect sci-fi tech acceleration compensators.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:13 pm

You try to match the gee force allocated to twisting.

I would say it's the equivalent to trying to outturn your opponent.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:42 pm

Linwood wrote: So - not the “fur ball” of the WWII aerial dogfights. Maybe more like a swirl around a common vector?
Yes, something like that.