Spy on the Zhodani

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Varulv
Weasel

Spy on the Zhodani

Postby Varulv » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:46 pm

My players are planning to setup a small trading company in either Jewell Subsector or Regina Subsector with the official purpose of performing trade with Zhodani and Vargr. This is of course only a cover for their real business: smuggling and intelligence gathering in the Zhodani Consulate (one of the characters has a background from the Imperial Naval Intelligence).

Since the Zhodani uses psionics I presume it will be difficult to travel in their territory and visiting their planets with a hidden (and sinister) agenda. Especially since the use of anti-psionic helmets are, iirc, not permitted (or would at least draw unwanted attention to the characters).

So, what possible approaches can you think of for spying on the Zhodani?
RogerMc
Mongoose

Re: Spy on the Zhodani

Postby RogerMc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:45 pm

Impossible unless you don't know that you are spies.

Which will presumably require some sort of memory implantation and erasure.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Personality overlay technology, temporary personality wafer tech, memory/personality editing.

Before heading into Zho space they have their personalities and memories backed up and then all traces of spookdom is removed from their brain.

They then go off and have their adventures and when they return their memories are scanned, useful intel downloaded, the old personality memories reinstalled.

When they are ready for another trip just repeat the process.

Check out Expedition to Zhodane and the short adventure Memory Alpha, T5 and Agent of the Imperium.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Why not? Looks like technological level nine.

Inconspicuous psionic helm.

Or just keep thinking about sex; they'll eventually get bored.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:27 pm

I've considered running a campaign in the region myself as a prelude to Mongoose's once proposed Fifth Frontier War campaign. Looking at the region, I figured Quar (hex 0808) might make an excellent "West Berlin" where the cold war powers of the Zhodani and Imperium might meet, spy on each other, and conduct other shenanigans.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:50 pm

What about Arden? It's already balancing between Zho and Imperial interests. And Vargr space isn't too terribly far away. In the 1120era history it's expanded into a multi-system entity.