Getting rid of negative Quirks in spacecraft

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Old School
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Getting rid of negative Quirks in spacecraft

Postby Old School » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:30 pm

If youre allowing your travellers to load up with whatever they can afford at the starport, then, yes, I think you have to allow hardware Quirks (sensors, thrusters) to be fixable, but the bill could be huge, akin to a full replacement. Some of the others are more about role play than repairs. Others others, such as maintenance costs or repair roles, are permanently part of the ship, which is fine. None make the ship a deathteap or unplayable.

Nothing wrong with the ship having a little personality.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:27 pm

paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:11 pm

Whether or not they are ever able to actually repair, remove, or ameliorate the negative quirk, having another subplot/side goal for the Travellers is a good thing. It gives them one more attachment to their ship. Even if it's negative, it can add to their experience as they occasionally work to fix the problem. "Well, there's residual radioactivity on the starboard maneuver exhaust and the main cargo hold door sometimes sticks, but she's gotten us through a number of pickles." [Pats the ship proudly.]
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Garran
Weasel

Postby Garran » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 am

Reynard wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 pm
We want a cheaper ship! Let's load it up with as many quirks as we can get away with so it's real cheap then complain we can't do anything with such a quirky ship and demand cheap ways to get rid of the quirks.
While that might be true in the case of a chargen-obtained ship, the PCs may come into possession of other ships later on, and nothing stops those from having quirks too - in that case, both unwanted and unasked.

Getting rid of those is entirely reasonable.
Baldo
Stoat

Postby Baldo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Garran wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:13 am
While that might be true in the case of a chargen-obtained ship, the PCs may come into possession of other ships later on, and nothing stops those from having quirks too - in that case, both unwanted and unasked.

Getting rid of those is entirely reasonable.
+1!!

IMHO, as I've said above, ship shares can remove *ANY* negative quirk in chargen-obtained ships (yes, even the exotic ones. Ship shares "represent contacts, credit rating, savings and favours owed", after all). The quirks of ships gained during adventures call for MORE adventures instead: just see what H.P.P.E. (in Challenge Magazine No. 46) does with the 'Psionic Echoes' quirk, for example.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:32 pm

Garran, if the referee introduces a quirky ship, there must be a reason most likely story driven. If the players HATE the concept so much then maybe it's time for an out of game talk and remove the offending object or remove the quirks and anything else found player-offensive. Introducing a quirky ship either at chargen or in game should be pleasant and acceptable nor a threat or punishment.

If this could ever be an issue then every ref needs to be paranoid about players and have The Talk about what they want in their game.
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:18 pm

I'm OK with ship shares as a fix for quirks on a ship acquired at the beginning of a campaign. But suppose a new player joins the game with lots of ship shares. What then? I'd rule that it would take the combination of the ship shares and role-playing. For example, a new player might arrive with enough ship shares to un-quirk the ship, but it doesn't suddenly get up to spec when the new character steps aboard. Instead:

"I have a salvage Super-Meat 1090 at my old cabin-mate's apartment on Efate. It's supposed to be able to grow 21 types of meat, and all but three still work. That beats the meat machine on this ship, which can only grow chicken meat that doesn't taste quite like chicken."

"I also have about a megacredit of store credit at Fuel Flow on Jewell. My old squad leader never told us how he got it -- or the Zhodaji gatling gauss gun he left my buddy -- but he left it to me in his will."

"Oh, and my old lieutenant became a Vargr liaison officer when she got promoted. Maybe she could do something about this ship's reputation issues."