How to assign Ship Shares

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

How to assign Ship Shares

Postby JMISBEST » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Since I don't like the ideas of having no Ship Shares to partially or mostly repair The Harrier yet The Pcs have convinced me to use The Career Package Rules in The Traveller Companion when it comes out is their any way to get them Ship Shares so that The Harrier isn't going to cost a fortune to get back to fully operational status?
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: How to assign Ship Shares

Postby Reynard » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:02 pm

When I played the original Pirates of Drinax, the referee had the value of each ship share usable as Credits we could use to initially repair and upgrade the ship. My character's shares became a side adventure in the form of a ship's weapon cache from her prior term career as a pirate and hidden on a planet guarded by these nasty bat like monsters.
M J Dougherty
Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Getting the materials and money to fix up the Harrier is part of the adventure.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:48 pm

As are many Traveller adventures with players getting a bare bones starter ship often without weapons. MgT Traveller offers so many options to upgrade and remake that ship and ship shares knocking off a little from the mortgage can go that way.

As for Pirates of Drinax, they give a solution to the share issue in that regard. Chapter Four (pages 18-20) describes using ship shares for repairs and Chapter Five deals with upgrades. After the initial repair and rebuild, you use the Resource Unit system to find materials needed whether for personal use or to use at a shipyard. The same rules could be used for other ships and campaigns.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:28 pm

There is no magical Federation that makes starships over night just to be crashed again in Traveller.