Drones (again)

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Drones (again)

Postby MonkeyX » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:52 pm

I’ve finally managed to get a look at the vehicle book and there is a chapter about drones but these seem to be full sized craft. Does anyone have any info or ideas how to construct a laptop sized drone? Just reduce the cost because of the size? The thing seems to need 2 spaces just for the comma equipment.
Linwood
Banded Mongoose

Re: Drones (again)

Postby Linwood » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:49 am

I just wing it. Assume a mobile comm equivalent for a brain and communication, maybe use something like PRIS goggles to represent sensors, look at other things for thoughts on power, drives, etc.The controller might be the equivalent of a laptop. If the drone that size is meant for civilian use in a standard atmosphere it’s likely to be lightly constructed (1 Hull, no armor); drones built for use in vacuum or hostile environments will be more robust (and thus more expensive). Military drones that size probably aren’t mush more robust but would come with encrypted communications, maybe stealth or other more advanced capabilities. It would be tough to fit a functional weapon system on a drone that small, but maybe a snub pistol or needle pistol equivalent? Or a scaled-down laser pistol? For military use a laser target designator may make more sense.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Drones (again)

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:16 am

I agree, that is way outside what the vehicle system can handle.

At best you can make a perhaps 2 Space flyer (something like total 1000 kg) and divide the result by 1000 to get a 1 kg drone.