Advise for A Traveller Story

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Advise for A Traveller Story

Postby JMISBEST » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:36 pm

For the benefit of A Story I'm thinking of trying to write for A Amateur Story-Writing Contest in my Town of Residence and with my chosen theme being A Traveller Version of Australia but on the scale of A Star System can 1 of more users of this website please answer me the following?. Please and thank you

On A Traveller Version of Australia but on the scale of A Star System if A Immigration Official knows that the would-be permanent resident hasn't got even a speeding ticket against him but had him as A Teacher 20 odd years ago on A School-Exchange Program and knows that over a few days past 4 years he definitely committed at least 500 acts of physical child-abuse and suspects him of committing closer to 1,400 acts of physical child-abuse over a fortnight short of 10 years can he use his personal knowledge to give the guy a life-long ban from even trying to enter The Traveller Version of Australia but on the scale of A Star System
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Advise for A Traveller Story

Postby locarno24 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:50 pm

?

Sounds like a rather disturbing story

Okay. Disregarding the (let's be honest, irrelevant) 'wrapper'.
knows that over a few days past 4 years he definitely committed at least 500 acts of physical child-abuse and suspects him of committing closer to 1,400 acts of physical child-abuse over a fortnight short of 10 years can he use his personal knowledge to give the guy a life-long ban
Awkward answer: yes and no.

Yes, in that 'if you have knowledge of a crime of this nature you can and should come forward and try to do something about it'. More than enough sustained and convicted accusations of abuse emerge a long time after the events that it's far from out-of-character. This probably couldn't result in a conviction (given the setting, the individual isn't a citizen of that country so isn't subject to any judgement rendered there and if the crimes are outside their jurisdiction they probably couldn't legally render judgement anyway) but could easily, if supportable, result in PNG status.

No, in that 'you'll need to prove that to someone in authority for the record' - which has historically been difficult to do a long time after the event. If the immigration official assessing the case wants to stamp 'lifetime ban' they may well have the authority to do that, but not without putting a reason on record to do so. Whether they're prepared to do so, is, of course, up to them.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Advise for A Traveller Story

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:46 pm

Why do we like the character to want to read such a story?