[High Guard] Weapon and component questions

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: [High Guard] Weapon and component questions

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:22 am

I was only joking about 10 g, that would be extremely unusual, albeit possible, in ships. Fighters on the other hand...

The Merc may have a part of the Common Areas organised as a sick bay, but without the expensive special equipment (Med Bay) that gives a DM+1.

I would skip the fixed sizes for ships.

I would do something special with the turrets, just another bay or three will not make much difference. Note that Traveller does not keep track of firing arcs (usually), ships are assumed to roll to bring all weapons to bear.
Bardicheart
Mongoose

Postby Bardicheart » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:10 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:22 am
I was only joking about 10 g, that would be extremely unusual, albeit possible, in ships. Fighters on the other hand...

The Merc may have a part of the Common Areas organized as a sick bay, but without the expensive special equipment (Med Bay) that gives a DM+1.

I would skip the fixed sizes for ships.

I would do something special with the turrets, just another bay or three will not make much difference. Note that Traveller does not keep track of firing arcs (usually), ships are assumed to roll to bring all weapons to bear.
You might have been joking but I got sneaky and found my 20 dT so she's now a peppy 7 G thrust vessel. :lol: I get a chance to clean up my notes I'll post them later today maybe, just have the two pinnace's left to do stats for.

I'd like to skip the fixed sizes as well, but keep the "classifications" so far as what is a frigate vs a cruiser and so forth since that was very much part of the setting. But leave enough flexibility so there could be a 30k dT "heavy cruiser" and so forth. FS did keep track of firing arcs (I have the original Noble Armada rules) and also had "maneuver ratings" for ships which was the equivalent of the old Agility rating in Traveller (which I kinda wish they'd bring back). Still mulling over how I'll handle that as well.

I still would not want to serve on a merc cruiser without a proper medical bay, cause being shot is way less fun than it sounds.
P. Sean ONeal
Writer / Artist / Building Contractor and space junky (or monkey)
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:35 pm

You can't group turrets any more as batteries.

With point defence you can, but those are preset up.
Bardicheart
Mongoose

Postby Bardicheart » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:59 am

Condottiere wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:35 pm
You can't group turrets any more as batteries.

With point defense you can, but those are preset up.
:shock: :? :o :( :roll:

Okay... fine... I'll just include Virtual Gunner software as a back up for injured gunners. :?

Anyways, thanks for the clarification.
P. Sean ONeal
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:49 pm

Some editions of Traveller have had size limits that depend on technology level. Is that the case in Mongoose second, or does the million dton limit apply to all TLs?

If the maximum size of a ship (or starship) varies with TL, then the ship classes would vary with the size limit. For example, if the biggest ship that can be built at a TL is 100k dtons, 50k dtons would qualify as a battleship, maybe a dreadnought. But with the million dton limit, 50k dtons might be a light cruiser.

Besides the TL limit, there's the matter of small ship rule sets, like Book 2 classic rules, where 5000 dtons is the largest possible ship (or is it just the largest possible standard hull?), and Clement Sector, which has an intermediate size limit.
Bardicheart
Mongoose

Postby Bardicheart » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:02 pm

If you're referring to my FS conversion, it seems to have a higher top end TL than OTU, somewhere between TL 16 and 17. If you include the Vau it hits TL 18 easily. The size cap was purely from the FS setting as written, that was what the authors came up with and so I was, at least initially replicating that. Given that you don't need jump drives or fuel which often take up 50% or more of the hull, those ships may be smaller but they'll be packed with more stuff.
P. Sean ONeal
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:25 pm

steve98052 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:49 pm
Some editions of Traveller have had size limits that depend on technology level. Is that the case in Mongoose second, or does the million dton limit apply to all TLs?
What million dton limit?
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Mongoose First required a technology level thirteen computer to go beyond a hundred kay tonnes.

Whereas in Classic, computer factor seven at technology level thirteen limited you to a megatonne.
Linwood
Banded Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:23 pm

Having a ship size limit based on FTL technology (jump drive or whatever) makes sense to me, to a point. Setting a ship size limit based on computer size or technology level - not so much.
baithammer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby baithammer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:30 am

If your computer can't handle the calculations for a jump, having the bigger jump drive isn't going work so well.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:16 pm

1. Jump programmes need to be written at a corresponding technological level, maybe because of the compiler?

2. All you then need is a computer with enough bandwidth, not necessarily the corresponding technological level; so it's definitely not an issue of performance, just RAM.

3. You need a large enough jump drive built at the corresponding technological level to take full advantage of the range.

4. And enough fuel.