PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: The futility of Pirates of Drinax?

Postby PsiTraveller » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:17 pm

I think Oleb is aware of history: Spoiler alert

‘We can’t stay here. The Floating Palace... it’s a joke. A
cage. A... stupid thing. We were dragons once. We will
rule the stars again. I gave you a Letter of Marque when
we started this campaign... of piracy. It’s still good.
Bring back the Kingdom, and all will be forgiven.
‘Listen, listen lads, listen. Tell. Prince Harrick...no...
he’s not right for it. Rao... she’ll be Queen, but she
needs someone to... warn her... there’s too much of the
Sindalian in her... warn her... no more...’

So creating an empire with violence and piracy is a good thing, but refrain from the excesses of the Sindalian Empire of old. No wiping out planetary populations.
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

Postby Pyromancer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:04 pm

There will come the moment in the campaign, when my players, accustomed to systems where a few dozen starships is considered fairly high traffic, will jump for the first time into a major Aslan system, and their radar screen will just go WHITE with tens of thousands of contacts. I'm looking forward to that moment. :twisted:
CaladanGuard
Weasel

Postby CaladanGuard » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Pyromancer wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:04 pm
There will come the moment in the campaign, when my players, accustomed to systems where a few dozen starships is considered fairly high traffic, will jump for the first time into a major Aslan system, and their radar screen will just go WHITE with tens of thousands of contacts. I'm looking forward to that moment. :twisted:
Yep, my players had their own way across the Reach, feeling untouchable in their nigh-invisible Harrier, in random backwoods systems. Then I had them fall into the events from Borderland Run, which ends at Tyokh. I think they're well aware of the reason they can't just start "taking Aslan planets" now.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:24 am

"I rewrite canon as I go. But even if you adhere to canon, remember: In the long run, we'll all be dead. And sometimes after that, the stars will die and the universe will reach maximum entropy."

Then Grandfather will say "Let there be light" and a Big Bang will occur.
Synther
Weasel

Postby Synther » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:22 am

Well, according to The Encyclopedia Galactica, Drinax doesn't fall again until 1119. That would give the players a good amount of time to have their fun, drink a cup of tea, and mosey on to the next adventure before the proverbial litterbox was tipped over. That is, if you believe in psychohistory and GeDeCo's aim for things.
Check out my group's Traveller Campaign at https://syntherstravellergame.obsidianportal.com/
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Postby MonkeyX » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:07 pm

Does the 5th frontier war effect this area? The wiki says it largely takes place in the Spinward Marches.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:15 pm

The issue of weapons of mass destruction in Traveller I don't think has ever been satisfactorily resolved.

I think with the Imperium, Solomani, Aslan and Zhodani there probably is restraint and reluctance, or at least lip service to that.

They might feel no need to intervene if it happens outside their perceived areas of influence or interest.
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Postby Old School » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:16 pm

IMHO, which is probably contradicted by some random supplement from 20years ago, the only real effect of the 5th frontier war on The Drinax campaign is that a significant portion of the Navy’s fighting strength will move to from the Reach to the Marches, and the Imperium locally will be largely consumed by the war and therefore somewhat negligent in keeping an eye on the borderlands and the Aslan. The Duke of Tobia will still be paying attention, but he’ll have less resources than normal at his disposal.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:18 am

It will take the news of the Rebellion reaching the Hierate then the aslans in the Reach as well as the forces in the Spinward Marches before hostilities break out and the aslan invade.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:43 am

PsiTraveller wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:17 pm
So creating an empire with violence and piracy is a good thing, but refrain from the excesses of the Sindalian Empire of old. No wiping out planetary populations.
In fairness, Drinax - rather than Sindal - did largely avoid the 'bomb the uppity natives from orbit' school of diplomacy. It was only once they started annoying the Hierate that it all went wrong.
Pyromancer wrote:
Our group's 'moment' came the first time they saw the Eurisko in action. When you're used to being the top of a very small heap, seeing a spinal weapon fire is a salutary lesson in the theory of 'there's always a bigger fish'.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:12 pm

locarno24 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:43 am
PsiTraveller wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:17 pm
'there's always a bigger fish'[/i].
I'm looking forward to that as well. My group has indicated they don't want to run "Game of Sun and Shadow" from the perspective of the naval characters, so they will see it unfold strictly from the events perpetrated by the punitive fleet. I'll have to doctor things a bit to make it interactive for them.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:26 pm

If you don't like the Rebellion timeline, you can use the "Lorenverse" GURPS Traveller timeline. But that means more books, though the PDF editions are pretty cheap from Far Future.
Pyromancer wrote:
This sounds like an interesting moment.

"We have such good stealth that it takes three consecutive '12' rolls to spot us."

"OK, let me see, that's a one in 46,656 chance. Best you can tell, there are about 20,000 ships out there. There's a 35 percent chance that someone spots you the first round, but a 93 percent chance someone spots you within six rounds.
"Of course, that's assuming no one has advanced military grade sensors. In that case they only need two '12' rolls, which is a one in 1296 roll. And those 20k dton planetoids are just too regularly spaced in orbit to be natural satellites."