[Pirates of Drinax] Drinaxi military at the start of the campaign

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

[Pirates of Drinax] Drinaxi military at the start of the campaign

Postby Pyromancer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:39 pm

Here's my first thoughts about the Drinaxi military at the start of the campaign:

Star Guard:
200 soldiers (mostly good quality)
1x 100dton Scout-S (the "Star Guard One", refitted with luxury quarters, serves as transport for the royal family when they want to travel)
1x 200dton Far Trader (the current flagship, almost exclusively used to transport people and grain between Asim and Drinax)
6x 200dton SDBs (in varying states of repair, some are partly cannibalized for spare parts, there might be 1-3 operational at any given time)
6x atmospheric jet fighters (low TL, armed with missiles)
2x atmospheric cargo planes (used for trade with the wastelanders and resource gathering missions to the surface)

Hawk Warriors:
60 soldiers of varying quality (nobles with old combat armor, grav belts, fusion weapons. Half of them are stationed on Asim at the moment)

Palace Guard:
50 elite soldiers (often seen standing around with ceremonial armor and halberds, but trained with combat armor and laser rifles)
200 regular soldiers (serve also as police, normally armed with batons, but also trained with pistols and laser carbines)

Drinax Defense Force:
160 regular soldiers (mainly responsible for the laser turrets and doing air/space traffic control. They also steer the floating palace. Minimal infantry training, laser carbines)

Asim Liberation Force:
6500 regular soldiers (mostly locals with slug throwers under the command of Drinaxi officers)
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Re: [Pirates of Drinax] Drinaxi military at the start of the campaign

Postby Old School » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:51 pm

Seems reasonable enough, especially with the caveat of only 1-3 SDB’s being operational. Somewhere in the books it mentions their “Navy caps out at 200 tons, and most vessels are small yachts with turrets added.

One of the adventures also gives stats for the hawk warriors, who are decidely average, although well equipped.

I would see the Hawk Warriors as one and the same with the palace guard based on their description (protocol taking precendent over combat ability). I would also consider the floating palace’s operation to fall to the star guard, and no Drinax defense force outside of the Hawk Warriors. The Vespexers on the surface take care of themselves.
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:13 pm

I usually go with 6 or 7 100 ton armed and armoured Scoutships as they are said to be Drinax's only jump-capable Ships and 3 or 4 200 armed and armoured Far Traders that they bought off of the last owners after using them to take Asim. As well as which as Drinax is said to have ships of up to 400 tons I go with A 300 ton Indigo-Class Pirate Carrier from when Oleb was A Pirate and A 400 ton 7th to 9th hand Gazelle that's A Decommissioned Sector Navy Ship and A Subsector Navy Surplus Ship. I'm just too kind A GM aren't I
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Old School wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:51 pm
Seems reasonable enough, especially with the caveat of only 1-3 SDB’s being operational. Somewhere in the books it mentions their “Navy caps out at 200 tons, and most vessels are small yachts with turrets added.

One of the adventures also gives stats for the hawk warriors, who are decidely average, although well equipped.

I would see the Hawk Warriors as one and the same with the palace guard based on their description (protocol taking precendent over combat ability). I would also consider the floating palace’s operation to fall to the star guard, and no Drinax defense force outside of the Hawk Warriors. The Vespexers on the surface take care of themselves.
Does it really say that The Drinax Navy caps out at 200 tons, and most vessels are small yachts with turrets added?. Every source I've read says 400 tons, that the most numerous are 100 ton Scoutships that are the only jump-capable 1's with no mention that most are small yachts with turrets added. But my sources good be wrong and have been before
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:29 pm

On the subject of Drinax's Navy every source I've read says their 100 ton Scoutships are the only jump capable 1's, but does any official source ever say if their other ships have no Jump-Drives or whether some have Jump-Drives that either can't be fixed or some reason haven't yet been fixed or will never be fixed?
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:49 pm

I like it, Pyromancer. I would imagine a few more soldiers (and possible claims that they have more than they do) and a modified yacht instead of a scout ship. Thanks for taking the time to put together a list. I will definitely use a slight variant of yours.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

Postby Pyromancer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Old School wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:51 pm
I would see the Hawk Warriors as one and the same with the palace guard based on their description (protocol taking precendent over combat ability).
In my view, the Hawk Warriors are only those who got an Iron Man suit handed down from their ancestors. They are high status. When they don't conquer entire planets for the glory of Drinax, they go out hunting with the king, or parade around on holidays. They don't stand around guarding the door to Oleb's bathroom, or mediating disputes between citizens, or catching pickpockets. There's the mundane palace guards for that.
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Postby Old School » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:15 am

That makes sense, pyro. I’ll stick a little closer to the written campaign in thst the head of the hawk warriors is the king’s personal bodyguard(p. 225) and that their members a are decidely average because of a small recruiting pool:
For that matter, few of those recruited into the Hawk Warriors can really be considered exceptional. The marines of the Third Imperium recruit from a pool of ten trillion; the marines of Drinax take the cream of forty thousand souls or so.

That said, what you’ve described, that the hawk warriors are decidely mediocre because membership is hereditary rather than merit based certainly works, and can lead to its own campaign twists. Run with it.
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

Postby Pyromancer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:39 pm

Huh. Seems like I deviate more from canon than I was aware of. I could have sworn that the detail about handed down suits is somewhere in the campaign, but it seems that is not the case. I keep it anyway.

"My" Hawk Warriors evolved into something like a chivalric order over time, they aren't "proper" military. A current Hawk can choose his successor. It's not automatically his oldest child, although it often IS a child or a close relative. But Hawks are encouraged to chose a worthy candidate, there is a trial you have to pass, and the order as a whole can refuse a candidate, and even expel someone for unworthy behaviour, and this includes not upholding a certain standard of combat prowess. So there is at least some kind of selection.

The Hawk Warriors are commanded by a Grand Master, who is elected for three years (and traditionally resigns from the Hawk Warriors after his term – this has also to do with the fact that the Grand Master normally is one of the most senior members). There is no hierarchy below this. For specific tasks, Hawk Warriors form ad hoc "casts" of three to ten members, the leader is elected among the cast members on the spot (although this normally defaults to seniority).
CaladanGuard
Weasel

Postby CaladanGuard » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:49 pm

The Life Events for generating a denizen of the floating palace in book two does have one roll where you can inherit a Star Guard commission (then sell it on if you choose) so I reckon it's a very fair view that the Hawk Warriors do something similar.
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Postby Old School » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:00 pm

You inherit a place in the Star Guard. You can sell this commission on for 1D x Cr10000, or you may automatically qualify for the Navy career and automatically gain a promotion in your first turn
There you go. Its star guard rather than Hawk Warriors, but close enough. Its a good concept. Run with it!

And handed down battle dress might be in there somewhere too. Not that unusual for the details to contradict themselves.
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:41 pm

Old School wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:00 pm
. . .
And handed down battle dress might be in there somewhere too. Not that unusual for the details to contradict themselves.
I could see combat armor as an heirloom item. I see combat armor as an armored vacc suit where the armor components are really strong, but the vacc suit parts are pretty much like a basic vacc suit. You have to maintain the vacc suit parts regularly, and also maintain the armor articulations. But as long as the armor segments don't take stop a bullet they last forever. But take a hit from anything bigger than a light target pistol and the armor segment probably needs replacement.

Battle dress is another story. All those strength motors and things require a lot of maintenance. Just wearing it around on routine occasions I going to require a steady supply of replacement parts. They're not likely to serve all that well as heirloom items.