How bad is he?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

How bad is he?

Postby JMISBEST » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Another Character I generated today out of bored after character creation was A Social Scale 10 Noble with Medic /0 as A Homeworld Skill who depending on the situation could add either his +1 for his Int 9 or +2 for his Edu 12, thanks to another 9, but this time with +1 in his career and another +1 twice or +2 in total from Benefits. So with Medic /0 and either +1 for Int or +2 for Edu roughly how bad is he?
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: How bad is he?

Postby locarno24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:08 pm

Please keep things (in this case character creation and the discussion of skills) within a single thread.
So with Medic /0 and either +1 for Int or +2 for Edu roughly how bad is he?
Medic/0 is essentially something somewhere between a formal first aid qualification and the training you might expect for a non-degree-requiring medical position (so Health Care Assistant, rather than a 'true' Nurse or Theatre Nurse/Operating Department Practicioner, if you're from the UK).

The exact example (since it appears in basic training tables) is that it's the medical training a fully qualified front line soldier or non-ambulance emergency services (police, fire) might expect.

Edu/2 is 'incredibly well educated' about the world generally, but not necessarily about medicine specifically. Essentially, go grab yourself a well-read, first class undergraduate and postgraduate degree holder from a major university, with meaningful real-life experience in business and worldly travel.
Then put them through a basic emergency medicine qualification. About that good.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:56 pm

After the above suggestion I'll add this here rather then open another topic

Roughly how good is the best Engineer I've ever seen or known who even right at the campaigns start still has Engineer -Jump Drives /3 at A +2 Edu DM, Engineer -Life-Support and Power both /1 and both with A +2 Edu DM and he makes any rolls for other Engineer Sub-Skills at /0 and with A +1 Int DM
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:48 am

Engineer/3 is 'very gifted professional' - the sort of individual who's really good, but not world(s) famous.
The sort of individual who'd be a 'head of technical discipline' in an engineering department at a university or a shipwright company.

EDU/12 is very impressive - where it's an EDU-based check (not that INT 9-11 for a DM+1 is exactly 'bad'!), but a higher EDU than INT means someone more naturally comfortable with 'the book answer' than figuring it out from first principles and creating a solution on the fly.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.