Roughly how good A Lawyer is he?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Roughly how good A Lawyer is he?

Postby JMISBEST » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:41 am

Just for a laugh I generated A Character using 1st editions Dilettante Rules and want to know roughly how good A Lawyer he is with A Advocate /2 and the ability to add either +3 for Social Scale, +2 for Edu or +1 for Int
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Re: Roughly how good A Lawyer is he?

Postby Old School » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:15 am

Average
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Roughly how good A Lawyer is he?

Postby locarno24 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:07 pm

Skill rating 2 is generally considered "professional quality", whilst 3 is "noticeably above average" and 4 is "world class" - the sort of individual you'd expect to be famous (at least within their profession).

DM+1 is not unusual - most random characters have at least one DM+1 characteristic, so seeing a 9+ in someone's 'defining' characteristic is good but not unheard of.

DM+2 means a characteristic of 12+ EDU/12 - which puts them in the top few percentile of human achievement.

DM+3 is the most important thing here; because DM+3 means SOC15, the absolute maximum possible for a PC, which means the individual is basically a planetary duke/duchess. So (from a cynical point of view) they win legal matters by either being or having influence over those who have the authority to decide what the law is.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.