Fleet combat?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Fleet combat?

Postby paltrysum » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:41 pm

What mechanics do you use for fleet combat in your campaign? The "Capital Ship Battles" rules on p. 86 of High Guard? The rules presented on p. 286 of Pirates of Drinax, Book 1? We're about to get to the point where fleet combat rules might be useful and I'd like to hear what peoples' experiences have been with it?

When do you use them? When you have 5+ ships in a battle? 10+? 20? The more details you can share, the better! :D
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Fleet combat?

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:27 pm

I haven't looked at Drinax.

I use the Fleet system for big ships and the basic system for small ships (~400 Dt?).

If a lot of die rolls are necessary I automate them, except a few important, so the players have a few to roll.
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Postby Old School » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:41 pm

Youv seen my rundown of the Battle of Exe, which had 19 ships, including fighters. One was disabled, one out of range, and 4 destroyed in the opening moments of combat, and real combat only lasted 3 rounds, but I found it to be managable.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:56 pm

Old School wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:41 pm
Youv seen my rundown of the Battle of Exe, which had 19 ships, including fighters. One was disabled, one out of range, and 4 destroyed in the opening moments of combat, and real combat only lasted 3 rounds, but I found it to be managable.
So you just used the basic ship combat system to conduct the battle?

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:27 pm
I use the Fleet system for big ships and the basic system for small ships (~400 Dt?).

If a lot of die rolls are necessary I automate them, except a few important, so the players have a few to roll.
Gotcha. So you just generate a series of die rolls and attribute them to a sequence of some sort based on the ships involved?
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Postby Old School » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:06 pm

Yes. I think the type of ships is as important at the number of ships. Small ships, the kind that travellers would bum around in, don’t have many weapons. Ships with hundreds of turrets would be a drag to play.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:31 pm

paltrysum wrote: Gotcha. So you just generate a series of die rolls and attribute them to a sequence of some sort based on the ships involved?
A spreadsheet with the common tasks resolved and damage calculated.

Most results for a single round of combat generated instantly.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:22 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:31 pm
A spreadsheet with the common tasks resolved and damage calculated.

Most results for a single round of combat generated instantly.
That's actually a brilliant idea. Have multiple columns set up, organized by ship, one for each weapon, including the skill level of the gunner, add any software bonuses (Fire Control/2, etc.), and just generate them as you go. I think I will set that up to prepare for some upcoming encounters. Thanks for the inspiration.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:49 pm

Works well for ground combat too.

A combat and a secondary task for each NPC. Also a convenient way to keep track of damage.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:51 am

For fleet vs fleet I use FFW/IE counters and combat resolution. For operational system scale movement I adapted Double Star. For the actual tactical resolution then its either range band or vector movement of the counters.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:53 am

Old School wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:41 pm
In fairness, I got the impression bulk of that fight was the squad-level fight inside the main warship.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Postby Old School » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:26 am

Of course it was. That doesn’t invalidate the space combat, which was four ships on one side, and three ships plus six fighters ( not including the four that were pot shotted to kick things off).

Space combat in traveller is similar to personal combat, in which a better armed or positioned side will tend to dominste quickly. Space combat also has a tendency to be brief, as losing ships will jump if possible. Had the travellers not killed the crews of two ships with radiation, those shops would have jumped and combat would still be over.