Mayday

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Hartford688
Shrew

Mayday

Postby Hartford688 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Good evening to you all! A long lost player coming back after a 35 year hiatus.

I have bought into 2e as my original books are long, long gone and things look good in the new edition.

That said, I always had fond memories of the Mayday system versus the somewhat abstracted rules that I see now.

Does anyone use Mayday/LBB2 rules with 2e? Or do you all find the new approach better?

Cheers

James
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Mayday

Postby AnotherDilbert » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Welcome back!

I am much too lazy to play with vector movement. The new system is far from perfect, but it is much faster than Mayday.

I have experimented with one dimensional vector movement, and found it to be reasonably fast and reasonably good at capturing the feeling of a full vector system.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:55 pm

Tried Mayday a couple times back in the days but it tended to be consuming even when just playing one-on-one combats. I think the concept would still be a great integrated alternate to the quickplay combat that I like as a roleplay minigame.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:43 pm

I incorporated some of the Mongoose 1st edition rules with Book2/Mayday. Works fine. Haven't really bothered to do so with the 2nd edition.

Also Note neither 1st or 2nd edition of Mongooses ship rules use any sort of a vector system, so a fair amount of adaptation is required.
Evyn
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:38 pm

Infojunky wrote: Also Note neither 1st or 2nd edition of Mongooses ship rules use any sort of a vector system, ...
MgT1e HG, p83 includes the vector movement system from LBB2.
Hartford688
Shrew

Postby Hartford688 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:53 am

Many thanks for the tips!
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:18 am

Ship combat in MgT has always been its weakest link IMHO. The current version is just awful, being based more on Star Wars than Sir Isaac.
It is savable though:
use vector movement and keep weapon ranges, damage etc by the book and it works fine
for a simpler movement system that works use the CT Starter edition range band system

On the other hand if you want dogfighting, handbrake turn fighters that can take out capital ships then the rules as written may be for you (I wouldn't mind them being cartoon physics cinematic action flic options, but they have no place in the 3I setting)