Ship software Intellect

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
ochd
Mongoose

Ship software Intellect

Postby ochd » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:09 am

The table of ship software (CRB p.151) lists Intellect as a bandwidth 10 package. I am not entirely sure what the benefit of this is. Is it that a Traveller doesn't need to be interfacing with a terminal in order to get the ship to run software -- they can just shout out 'Computer, initiate fire control' or whatever, while shooting at the pirates who have just blown through the airlock?

A ship's computer can also run normal software. So, how does the ship software package Intellect (bandwidth 10) differ to the normal software Intellect (bandwidth 1-3), or the less-sophisticated Intelligent Interface and Agent programmes? If one wanted to run Expert Engineer/3 on your ship's computer, would Intellect/1 suffice, or would you need to run ship's Intellect/10?

Thanks,

Dan.
Last edited by ochd on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
baithammer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Ship software Intellect

Postby baithammer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:41 am

The ship version allows voice command for all attached systems, where the personal computer version allows independent skill use only on that particular computer. ( Highguard has further virtual crew software that allows for multiple ships systems to run independent of the crew.)
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:47 am

I let one instance of regular Intellect to replace one person. So if you want the ship's computer to replace the Pilot and the Engineer, it would need to run two instances of Intellect plus the two Expert packages.

Since the ship's Intellect uses so much more bandwidth, it has to do much more, so I allow it to replace several people, say the crew of a small ship.

But this is obviously house rules.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:19 am

Am I understanding Virtual Crew correctly that, for example, Virtual Crew/1 allows the ship to take the place of 5 crew members and at level-1 skill? I guess I'm just amazed at how overpowered that sounds.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:10 am

paltrysum wrote: Am I understanding Virtual Crew correctly that, for example, Virtual Crew/1 allows the ship to take the place of 5 crew members and at level-1 skill?
Yes.

paltrysum wrote: I guess I'm just amazed at how overpowered that sounds.
It is easy to automate small ships by RAW.

Note that only Pilots, Sensor Operators, and Gunners can be automated by Virtual Crew. Many other crew positions can be automated by Intellect+Expert software or robots.

Since I don't like fully automated ships I basically don't allow it in my game. But Virtual Crew can certainly stand bridge watch while the Pilot takes a nap...
ochd
Mongoose

Postby ochd » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:42 am

baithammer wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:41 am
The ship version allows voice command for all attached systems, where the personal computer version allows independent skill use only on that particular computer. ( Highguard has further virtual crew software that allows for multiple ships systems to run independent of the crew.)
By 'all attached systems' are you referring to ships with multiple computers? That is, for your standard Free Trader, Scout Ship, Subsidised Merchant, etc. would running Intellect plus Expert-Engineer on your personal computer be sufficient to initiate jump sequence?
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Postby Old School » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:37 pm

Note that only Pilots, Sensor Operators, and Gunners can be automated by Virtual Crew
Source? MgT2 does not include that limitation.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:27 pm

Old School wrote: Source? MgT2 does not include that limitation.
HG, p64 wrote: Virtual Crew: While ships are vastly complicated to run, requiring highly trained crews, relatively simple operations can be performed by this software package. Virtual Crew can replace up to five pilots, gunners or sensor operators on board a ship, ...
baithammer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby baithammer » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:06 pm

ochd wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:42 am
By 'all attached systems' are you referring to ships with multiple computers? That is, for your standard Free Trader, Scout Ship, Subsidised Merchant, etc. would running Intellect plus Expert-Engineer on your personal computer be sufficient to initiate jump sequence?
Stuff like locks, lights, ect.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:51 pm

ochd wrote: By 'all attached systems' are you referring to ships with multiple computers?
Ships are not allowed to have multiple computers.

ochd wrote: That is, for your standard Free Trader, Scout Ship, Subsidised Merchant, etc. would running Intellect plus Expert-Engineer on your personal computer be sufficient to initiate jump sequence?
I do not allow it, but that is coloured by my dislike for completely automated ships.

Why would anyone hire a lot of crew if they could be replaced by an iPad?
WingedCat
Stoat

Postby WingedCat » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Actually, ships can have 2 computers: a primary and a backup. The backup must be lower Processing score than the primary. It is unclear whether both can be operating at once, but there does not seem to be any rule against it.

The "Intellect" software for ships seems to be a different thing than the "Intellect" software that allows computers to run Expert software. I would say the former is much closer to the "Intelligent Interface" software on personal computers.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:31 pm

WingedCat wrote: Actually, ships can have 2 computers: a primary and a backup. ... It is unclear whether both can be operating at once, but there does not seem to be any rule against it.
I believe the backup can't be used at the same time as the primary, but I agree it's not completely clear.
Geir
Weasel

Postby Geir » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Probably because in an early campaign way back in classic Traveller days, the ship had an intelligent brain, I've always been partial to ships with brains. Iain Banks only reinforced that in my vision.

My logical take on Virtual Crew is that it would cover functions that the computer could perform without hands. There is already an Evade and Fire Control, so Pilot and Gunner makes sense. Sensor operator seems pretty basic, since there are plenty of automated sensor systems. I would think Astrogation would make sense, but not all functions of an Engineer. The actual Jump, probably. Repairs, I wouldn't think so unless the ship had auto-repair drones or a robot the ship could control. Same for steward or medic. At least some remote-control drone. Or an autodoc for medic, and even then, someone or something would need to deliver the patient to the autodoc.

Not RAW, but my interpretation has an option of Intellect and Virtual Crew as a separate "backup" or additional computer. It would need to be Computer/15 or above to run Intellect and Virtual Crew/0. That's MCr 4.0 right there. So there's a clear choice. What's the ROI on the ship's brain versus crew? Even considering the computer runs all three shifts, it will take a while to break even, making it more of a choice or a luxury than an economic argument for replacing your crew (okay, so factor in staterooms, common areas, etc, maybe it breaks even sooner, but then it's a design choice up front).
Geir Lanesskog
www.geir.org
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:21 pm

Take something like a simple Free Trader (200 Dt, J-1, M-1, 10 Staterooms, 20 Low, 80 Dt cargo):

Add Virtual Crew and remove the crew (and their staterooms) and the bridge:

Automation is very profitable, if you allow it.
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Postby Old School » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:19 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:27 pm
Old School wrote: Source? MgT2 does not include that limitation.
HG, p64 wrote: Virtual Crew: While ships are vastly complicated to run, requiring highly trained crews, relatively simple operations can be performed by this software package. Virtual Crew can replace up to five pilots, gunners or sensor operators on board a ship, ...
I stand corrected. Thanks.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:15 pm

WingedCat wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:58 pm
Actually, ships can have 2 computers: a primary and a backup. The backup must be lower Processing score than the primary. It is unclear whether both can be operating at once, but there does not seem to be any rule against it.

The "Intellect" software for ships seems to be a different thing than the "Intellect" software that allows computers to run Expert software. I would say the former is much closer to the "Intelligent Interface" software on personal computers.
Not that there are that many TL-16 worlds on which to obtain one, but the Conscious Intelligence program, described in High Guard, is too big for any of the computer models. It could fit on a "Core" model, but I'm not sure those are suitable for a small starship. Could you divide the Conscious Intelligence across the primary and backup computer systems on your small ship?
Geir wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:59 pm
Probably because in an early campaign way back in classic Traveller days, the ship had an intelligent brain, I've always been partial to ships with brains. Iain Banks only reinforced that in my vision.
A big thumbs up on that one. Reading the Culture series has really wanted me to incorporate the concept of intelligent ships into Traveller. I realize that the 3I setting isn't really made for that, but I'm always looking for a way to shoehorn it in. :)
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:58 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:15 pm
Not that there are that many TL-16 worlds on which to obtain one, but the Conscious Intelligence program, described in High Guard, is too big for any of the computer models. It could fit on a "Core" model, but I'm not sure those are suitable for a small starship. Could you divide the Conscious Intelligence across the primary and backup computer systems on your small ship?
I would not allow the software to run on several computers.

I certainly allow Core computers on any spacecraft.

If you want to run a lot of or massive software, just buy a big computer.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:13 pm

It's a functional mechanic, if not altogether logical.

A single computer ensures that that all ship systems are coordinated, energy distributed to where it's needed.
WingedCat
Stoat

Postby WingedCat » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:56 am

paltrysum wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:15 pm
I'd say no. Running completely separate programs on completely separate computers is one thing. Splitting it across two computers?

That said, while TL 16 computers are not listed, it's safe to assume you can get +5 Processing per TL - which suggests you can get a non-core Computer/40 at TL 16. I used it for my Xihuitl person-ship design.