What Ships would you suggest for Irontooth?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

What Ships would you suggest for Irontooth?

Postby JMISBEST » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:20 am

My new Group is trying to add Irontooth to Drinax and due to what their offering, combined with me being too nice as they're old friends, means that unless they never roll higher then A 5 on any 2D6+5 Persuade Rolls that they are definitely going to succeed within 10 years, likely within 4 years and possibly within 20 months, the problem is that Adventure's 1 and 2 only describe 4 of his ships, I imagine him as having A 13 or 14 Ships, so 5 or 6 more then Vallis is said to have in Adventure 1 but 6 or 7 less the Vallis is said to have in 2nd editions Adventure 6. I've got some ideas of my own but to both keep my players guessing and give me a better selection of options and ideas what Ships would you suggest for Irontooth?
Old School
Banded Mongoose

Re: What Ships would you suggest for Irontooth?

Postby Old School » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:04 am

He has a pocket warship and a pile of crap. He is scribed as having about 50 pirates, which is consistent the four ships he is given. You can increase that pile if you want, as long as its crap. Far traders, scout ships, salvage haulers.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:21 am

Old School wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:04 am
He has a pocket warship and a pile of crap. He is scribed as having about 50 pirates, which is consistent the four ships he is given. You can increase that pile if you want, as long as its crap. Far traders, scout ships, salvage haulers.
This. Take any common ship off the list of Trojan reach encounters and strap some actual guns in the turrets. Hroal's pocket warship should remain his biggest ship, since if it wasn't, he'd be using the bigger ship.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:09 pm

This is what an insurgency uses in the tactical role of an MRAP, Humvee, JLTV, or even a Stryker. If you can't afford a real warship, convert a civilian vehicle into a warship.

locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:51 am

And frankly the 'minimum capability level' for a pirate is even lower.

Insurgents/Rebels/Freedom Fighters/Terrorists/Militia (delete as appropriate to any given group for your respective philosophical, national and religious alignments) with armed vehicles are, at some point, generally intending to take on other militia groups, law enforcement or regular military.

Pirates, on the other hand, actively do not want a shootout if they can avoid it, because damage to either their own ship or their potential prize cuts into the bottom line, and generally they have no intention of taking on anything capable of putting up a credible fight. They should only be taking on a target with anything more impressive than one or two beam lasers and/or sandcasters in a point defence mount under very exceptional circumstances, and a single decent ship-to-ship weapon mount on an otherwise stock civilian ship is more than sufficient to intimidate a basically unarmed free trader.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.