What skills have you dropped?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Old School
Stoat

Re: What skills have you dropped?

Postby Old School » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:05 pm

Not sure what HalC is asking. Having any skill level in a specialty includes having level 0 skill in the other specialities of that skill. That’s in the rules. If that’s not what you’re looking for, please provide an example of what you would want. Of course, for your own game, you can modify the rules however you wish.

Some discretion has to be used, of course. Profession and Science, which have any number of specialities, are two skills that wouldn’t give a level zero skillset to all other specialities. For example, Profession (Finance) 2 may also grant Profession (Accounting) 0, but it wouldnt grant Profession (Civil Engineering) 0. Science (Chemistry) 3 should grant Science Science (Biology) 0, but does not imply Science (Planetology) 0. Some common sense, and ultimately, referee fiat, has to apply here.

I would also as a referee, if asked, grant Science (Biology) 0 and Science (Chemistry) 0 or maybe even level 1 to someone with Medic 3, just thinking of the rigors of medical training. I’m sure there are other good examples.

I don’t think I’d agree with a broad Starship skill, at least not without a high level required that would increase the complication of the game. To use a real life example, I’d like to think I am a Driver (wheeled) 1. Although everyone thinks they are better drivers than they actually are, so maybe I’m really Driver 0. Either way, that may also give me Driver (Tracked) 0, but it certainly doesn't give me Mechanic 0 ( or give my wife Navigation 0 😉). And starships are much more complicated than automobiles. Docking a starship, fixing a jump drive, and plotting a course through the stars are very different skills. Maybe Driver (wheeled) 3, which to me would be a top notch race or stunt car driver, also requires Mechanic 0. That’s pretty reasonable. Up to you if you want to add these details to your game.

Last one: should Gun Combat (Slug) 3 give a traveller something better for a laser rifle than Gun Combat (Energy) 0? They aim the same way, don’t they? Of course, firing a gun with significant recoil on target could be much harder than a gun with Zero G, i.e. limited or no recoil.
Old School
Stoat

Postby Old School » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:06 pm

And why the hell is that emoji so big?
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Old School wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:05 pm
. . .
I don’t think I’d agree with a broad Starship skill, at least not without a high level required that would increase the complication of the game. . . . Docking a starship, fixing a jump drive, and plotting a course through the stars are very different skills. . . .
I wasn't advocating a Starship skill that gave a plus is every important job on a starship. I was proposing a reduced Jack of All Trades (for people who find Jack an overpowered skill), which I called Jack of Some Trades (Starship), that would reduce inexperience penalties rather than granting a bonus. I mentioned a few other Jack of Some Trades categories too.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:55 am

Depends on why you want that simplification.

If it's because the player characters are not loot boxing the requisite skills to succeed in your campaign, then permit a limited form of exchanging those acquired skills for something more useful.