Is it the right thing to do?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:25 am

Is it the right thing to do?

Postby JMISBEST » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:37 am

Something that happened back in the 90's when I was a player in the 1st ever Edition of Traveller was my groups 200 Ton Far Trader was in Space when The GM rolled A 100 on his Custom Made 1D100 Encounters Table, that meant that our mere 200 ton Ship was facing A Custom Build 3D6+15x100 or 3,000 ton Corsair which A 9+ roll meant where crewed by some of the galaxies most bloodthirsty Pirates alive, they would have never needed worse then A 5+ to hit and we would have been slaughtered in 4 rounds tops likely only 2 rounds, yet The GM decided to spare us by having The Pirates decide that our ships crew weren't worthy of being slaughtered by them and so left us alone. Was it the right thing to do then? and if I ever do it is it the right thing to do?
CaladanGuard
Weasel
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:39 am

Re: Is it the right thing to do?

Postby CaladanGuard » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:51 am

Having an encounter table like that would be odd. Locking yourself into stupid situations because of a random encounter dice roll would be odd.

If for some weird reason you did, then fudging the result is the correct course. No-one comes to Traveller for a session that consists of, "The Imperial Navy heavy cruiser decides you're a threat, and blows your ship up, you're all dead." Certainly not off a random table. If your players manage to somehow work their way into that situation through stupidity or stubbornness, then maybe they suffer some consequences. But we're all here to have fun....well, most of us are here to have fun.
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:25 am

Re: Is it the right thing to do?

Postby JMISBEST » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:56 am

CaladanGuard wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:51 am
Having an encounter table like that would be odd. Locking yourself into stupid situations because of a random encounter dice roll would be odd.

If for some weird reason you did, then fudging the result is the correct course. No-one comes to Traveller for a session that consists of, "The Imperial Navy heavy cruiser decides you're a threat, and blows your ship up, you're all dead." Certainly not off a random table. If your players manage to somehow work their way into that situation through stupidity or stubbornness, then maybe they suffer some consequences. But we're all here to have fun....well, most of us are here to have fun.
This was 20 odd years ago and The GM at the time used ideas weirder then some of mine. In fact he died back in August 98 and my unique way of doing Traveller is a less extreme version of his way of doing it and is done so to honour him and his memory
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4268
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Is it the right thing to do?

Postby phavoc » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:56 pm

JMISBEST wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:37 am
Something that happened back in the 90's when I was a player in the 1st ever Edition of Traveller was my groups 200 Ton Far Trader was in Space when The GM rolled A 100 on his Custom Made 1D100 Encounters Table, that meant that our mere 200 ton Ship was facing A Custom Build 3D6+15x100 or 3,000 ton Corsair which A 9+ roll meant where crewed by some of the galaxies most bloodthirsty Pirates alive, they would have never needed worse then A 5+ to hit and we would have been slaughtered in 4 rounds tops likely only 2 rounds, yet The GM decided to spare us by having The Pirates decide that our ships crew weren't worthy of being slaughtered by them and so left us alone. Was it the right thing to do then? and if I ever do it is it the right thing to do?
The crew should have already finished cooking the turkey before entering into scanner range of the Pirates. Everyone knows pirates prefer stuffing INSIDE their turkey. A roll of 10+ would have indicated the Pirates enjoyed the pumpkin pie MORE THAN the turkey, which would have allowed the crew to sneak off, steal the Pirate ship, destroy their own free trader, and then make it back to space dock in time to get more pie. Of course, slaughtering the Pirates with their own ship, but while inside your old ship, would have been traumatic for the entire crew. I think the referee should require each character to roll 11+ (a modifier of +1 if they were Vegan, +2 if they liked Dinah Shore, +3 if they listened to the Rolling Stones, and +12 if they were actually Keith Richards after his 14,241,444 blood transfusion from virgins from North Hermfordshire).

Now, if the Pirates were from PETA, AND they were bloodthirsty, a second helping of pie would be required by everyone. And then the Pirates would have left the ship being newest-bestest-friends.

Pie. It does a bloody universe good. +2 if it's a really nice chocolate cream pie.
Darkmoon
Shrew
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:16 am

Re: Is it the right thing to do?

Postby Darkmoon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:12 pm

phavoc wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:56 pm
JMISBEST wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:37 am
Something that happened back in the 90's when I was a player in the 1st ever Edition of Traveller was my groups 200 Ton Far Trader was in Space when The GM rolled A 100 on his Custom Made 1D100 Encounters Table, that meant that our mere 200 ton Ship was facing A Custom Build 3D6+15x100 or 3,000 ton Corsair which A 9+ roll meant where crewed by some of the galaxies most bloodthirsty Pirates alive, they would have never needed worse then A 5+ to hit and we would have been slaughtered in 4 rounds tops likely only 2 rounds, yet The GM decided to spare us by having The Pirates decide that our ships crew weren't worthy of being slaughtered by them and so left us alone. Was it the right thing to do then? and if I ever do it is it the right thing to do?
The crew should have already finished cooking the turkey before entering into scanner range of the Pirates. Everyone knows pirates prefer stuffing INSIDE their turkey. A roll of 10+ would have indicated the Pirates enjoyed the pumpkin pie MORE THAN the turkey, which would have allowed the crew to sneak off, steal the Pirate ship, destroy their own free trader, and then make it back to space dock in time to get more pie. Of course, slaughtering the Pirates with their own ship, but while inside your old ship, would have been traumatic for the entire crew. I think the referee should require each character to roll 11+ (a modifier of +1 if they were Vegan, +2 if they liked Dinah Shore, +3 if they listened to the Rolling Stones, and +12 if they were actually Keith Richards after his 14,241,444 blood transfusion from virgins from North Hermfordshire).

Now, if the Pirates were from PETA, AND they were bloodthirsty, a second helping of pie would be required by everyone. And then the Pirates would have left the ship being newest-bestest-friends.

Pie. It does a bloody universe good. +2 if it's a really nice chocolate cream pie.

Never was a wiser word spoken :)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Hansdampf, heron61 and 17 guests