The tonnage and real life value

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

The tonnage and real life value

Postby JMISBEST » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:17 pm

Had A Dream Last Night that was a massive Drugs bust dream based on A Traveller and CSI Crossover and want to know what's the total mass of and your estimate of its value in Traveller terms of the seized drugs if they are in 8 containers that each hold 17 crates that each hold 23 bags that each hold 890 ounces of cocaine?. It was a really dream that was a massive Drugs bust dream based on A Traveller and CSI Crossover and I'm curious the drugs total rate and your estimate of its value in Traveller terms
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: The tonnage and real life value

Postby phavoc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:36 pm

That's about 180,000 lbs of super maxalicious sortable drugs. However, the normal density of lead is more than jello, so I'm going to guess that Trump did it with a tariff in the hot tub.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:42 pm

Genius!
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:14 am

Metric units only please - what is this thing you call an ounce?

More seriously that works out to 78.9 metric tons... (5.6 displacement tons)

at Cr10 per 28g you are looking at MCr28.2
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:53 pm

Bunch of ner'dowells got nicked at a small airport/class d in UK with 41 millions worth of coke, 15 suit cases I believe. 500 kg. :shock:
HalC
Weasel

Postby HalC » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:34 pm

JMISBEST wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:17 pm
Had A Dream Last Night that was a massive Drugs bust dream based on A Traveller and CSI Crossover and want to know what's the total mass of and your estimate of its value in Traveller terms of the seized drugs if they are in 8 containers that each hold 17 crates that each hold 23 bags that each hold 890 ounces of cocaine?. It was a really dream that was a massive Drugs bust dream based on A Traveller and CSI Crossover and I'm curious the drugs total rate and your estimate of its value in Traveller terms
Much of what you're asking boils down to the following:

What is the density of the powders in general? If you have 890 ounces, that's a fluid measure of weight. If you assume that its density is about equal to water (which I suspect it will be heavier), then you can estimate its volume based on its weight. If 890 ounces is about 25.23 kilograms, that is likely to be around 25,000 cubic centimeters by volume. Assuming there are 1 million cubic centimeters to a cubic meter, then it would take 40 such bags to equal 1 cubic meter no? Since packaging is always larger than the volume it is transporting, those 40 bags would be likely be filled into contains that will use up 1.25 cubic yards per 40 bags.

You specified each container holding 17 crates, each holding 23 bags. So (8 x 17 x 23/40) x 1.25 gives you total cubic meters of volume for your drugs and cases. Divide by 13.5 and that should give you the tonnage by volume in displacement tons. Call it 7.5 displacement tons for inefficiencies due to packaging etc, or simply round to 8 to be sure.

8 Displacement tons to handle what amounts to 2,783,920 ounces worth of material. If each "one ounce dose" was worth say, 10 credits per dose on the street, its street value would be 27.8 MCr.

All other data is up to you of course, and double checking my work here. If I were to go with density for the drugs, I'd likely use about 1.3 or even 1.4 grams per cubic centimeter to determine its internal volume. But, you just wanted a ball park right?
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

Postby Pyromancer » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:27 am

HalC wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:34 pm
8 Displacement tons to handle what amounts to 2,783,920 ounces worth of material. If each "one ounce dose" was worth say, 10 credits per dose on the street, its street value would be 27.8 MCr.
But you should keep in mind that you only get the street value if you actually go to a street corner and sell it there yourself, one dose at the time. It might take you a few decades to sell it all, and the guy who usually sells drugs there will probably don't like the fact that you have taken his spot.
HalC
Weasel

Postby HalC » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:16 am

Pyromancer wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:27 am
HalC wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:34 pm
But you should keep in mind that you only get the street value if you actually go to a street corner and sell it there yourself, one dose at the time. It might take you a few decades to sell it all, and the guy who usually sells drugs there will probably don't like the fact that you have taken his spot.
For sure, but then I'm not hip on drug prices in the first place. If the stuff being shipped is pure from the start, or a high purity value (if TV is to believed), then cutting it with other substances will at least double its value overall. Again, I don't know what the wholesale costs and retail costs of drugs are. The GM could easily state that the going price per hit is 20 credits, and that the wholesale costs can be as low as 20% and as high as 50%. The markup from the wholesale price is where the drug lords make their money.

So, take it with a grain of salt. So now you know why i showed all work and assumptions. The original poster on this thread can vary any of the assumptions to suit himself. ;)

I know this is bad, but I'm remembering a song title from Neil Young called "The Needle and the Damage done" - just seems appropriate to this topic somehow. And yes, I know I'm giving hints on my age by revealing that. It probably helps knowing that one of my favorites in life is "Like a Hurricane" along with Nights in White Satin and a few other classics...
Itharus
Weasel

Postby Itharus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:48 pm

Traveller does not use tons in the traditional maritime sense. They give no value for gross or net tonnage (which is actually a volume, not a weight). For reference, 260 tons (for tonnage) is equivalent to 1000 cubic meters of space. So... like 3.8 cubic meters per ton.

Displacement tons are something else all together that's for deriving mass while in water. Don't worry about that.

Traveller tons represent the space required to store a ton of liquid hydrogen, which I think they said was something like 14ish cubic meters.... it's right on the first page of the ship section in the core rulebook. Do check because I'm not certain about the numbers there.

Sooooooooooooo… consider which system you want to use. All you really need to do is find the density of the cocaine packs and do a little math to derive the volume, then convert it either into Traveller Tonnage or Maritime Tonnage. As you can see... maritime tonnage is smaller than Traveller tonnage.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:48 pm

A little goes a long way.