MgT2 Ship Design Speadsheet Walk-through

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Linwood
Banded Mongoose

Re: MgT2 Ship Design Speadsheet Walk-through

Postby Linwood » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:18 pm

I’m playing w/ building a space station this AM - nothing fancy, just a small orbital facility for traffic control and monitoring nearby space. I’m trying to add some docking clamps to store extra cutter modules but the spreadsheet doesn’t seem to account for the tonnage correctly - it seems to be subtracting the tonnage for the module as a whole (which makes sense for sizing jump drives and such) instead of just the tonnage for the clamps themselves.

Otherwise it’s pretty handy - nice job!
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:35 pm

I think it is correct...

In clamp: Only the clamp is deducted from interior space.
In hangar: lots of space deducted from interior space.
Cost is added either way.

Vessels held in clamps are not inside the hull, they are outside the hull and hence does not consume space inside the hull.

On the other hand drives have to be bigger.
HG, p43 wrote:Docking Clamp
A docking clamp allows a spacecraft to carry another vessel on the exterior of its hull, typically a small craft such as a ship’s boat or fighter. This permits a ship to carry auxiliary craft without consuming valuable interior space.

A ship’s Thrust and jump capability must be recalculated when another ship occupies its docking clamp, using the combined tonnage of both ships. This will likely mean the manoeuvre drive will be operating at a lower Thrust and the jump capability may be reduced.
HalC
Weasel

Postby HalC » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:07 am

I just downloaded the spreadsheet - and learned a few tricks that I'd not bothered to learn or lacked exposure to. The "custom" formating that you used in Cell A2 was an eye opener for me. Took a bit for me to realize that it was a less than zero, greater than zero, and equal to zero formating structure, but it works. NICE!

the other stuff with boolean logic, that was also nice. Multiplying by use of "If" statements where something had to be >= a value, and less than or equal to another (ie a range of numbers between low and high value) was also spiffy. A false result on either of the conditions results in a zero. Anything multiplied by zero is zero - which is a nice way around the =and(condition 1, condition 2) function in excel.

NICELY done.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:12 am

Thanks!

I generally find it easier to multiply by condition, rather than insert functions into the middle of formulas.