Would it work in Traveller

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Would it work in Traveller

Postby JMISBEST » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:34 pm

If The 4th in line to A Kingdoms Throne joined The Army to get excitement in life and had a mere captain of common birth as their superior and respected her/the captain enough could he call her Captain rather then her 1st name and let her call him by his 1st name rather then highness, soldier or corporal, again out of respect

It happens in Fire Emblem Heroes for The iPad and me and others I knew at school used did in in several Fantasy RPG's and I'm curious as to whether or not it would happen in Traveller. What do you think?

PS if I ever do another Traveller Campaign I will likely decide yes it can happen, but I want the opinion of the, in my opinion, great minds on this great website
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Would it work in Traveller

Postby Sigtrygg » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:43 pm

You salute the rank - regardless of what you think of the person or you relative social station.
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PsiTraveller » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:29 am

https://www.quora.com/When-serving-in-t ... r-officers

Here is an example from the British Royal family. Members of the Royal family try hard to fit in. There is always the issue of security for the royal personage. Killing or capturing a member of the family would be a disaster.
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:47 am

For a Traveller canon analog, it is noted that Archduke Norris often requested to be presented as Norris, Baron of Yori, instead of Archduke Norris of the Domain of Deneb, because he didn't want to waste lots of time on all the formalities associated with the office of archduke; he just wanted to do his business without the pageantry.

That's not the same as a case where Archduke Norris requests being introduced as Commander Norris, Imperial Navy (retired), but he could ask to be introduced that way too if he wished. Then he would be expected to salute his own admirals (assuming retired officers are supposed to salute serving officers of higher rank) and not be presented under his noble titles.

Of course, whatever title a noble asks to be presented under, they don't lose their high offices; only the formality of a high office is put aside.

And as the British royalty examples note, a prince in uniform is treated as a soldier rather than a prince. For example, Prince William was "Lieutenant Wales", and later "Captain Wales". He was required to salute soldiers of higher rank, and they could give him orders. Still, there was always the expectation that they protect him, because he was still a prince under the uniform. But while dressed in his military uniforms, he was not addressed as "Your Royal Highness", but "Lieutenant" or "Captain".
Garran
Weasel

Postby Garran » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:27 pm

I suppose that if the noble in question had sufficient jurisdiction over the army then they could, in that capacity, issue a new regulation regarding forms of address to cover this situation. That's going to bring a lot of unwanted scrutiny and questions regarding their intentions (or competence) though.