Navy officers melee weapon skill

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Navy officers melee weapon skill

Postby MonkeyX » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:57 am

Looking over the Navy career in preparation for A Game of Sun and Shadow I noticed that a commissioned navy officer at ensign rank gain melee ( blade). I’m assuming that each officer is presented with a sword on being accepted as an officer but does anyone have an idea what this may be? My go to answer is a cerimonial rapier but a cutlass May also fit, but seems a bit too piraty for a naval officer.
M J Dougherty
Stoat

Re: Navy officers melee weapon skill

Postby M J Dougherty » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:02 am

An officer's dress sword would probably be a member of the smallsword family, though an interesting distinction would be to award a ceremonial cutlass to non-nobles.

The term 'cutlass' generally refers to any naval sword that isn't a smallsword, and can mean anything from a machete type weapon to a light infantry sabre with the designation changed.... so 'cutlass' does not necessarily mean a heavy 'butcher's blade'.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:12 am

Well, cutlass would be the usual for the Marines:
Classic Traveller Book 4: Mercenary wrote:Whenever a marine rolls a blade skill, it must be taken as Cutlass unless the character successfully makes a saving throw against marine tradition.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:04 am

Because the marines (and possibly naval ratings) use the cutlass, naval officers need a more refined weapon.

I have always used what was simply called "Sword" in CT. I see it as something like an infantry sabre, not as light as a rapier, not as curved as a cavalry sabre, and not as crude as a cutlass.

LBB1, p37 wrote: Cutlass (1250 grams; Cr100; TL 3): A heavy, flat-bladed, single-edged weapon featuring a full basket hilt to protect the hand. The cutlass is the standard ship-board blade weapon and usually kept in brackets on the bulkhead near important locations; when worn, a belt scabbard is used. Blade length varies from 600 to 900mm.

Sword (1000 grams; Cr150; TL 1): The standard long-edged weapon, featuring a flat, two-edged blade. It may or may not have a basket hilt or hand protector. A scabbard to carry the sword may be attached to the belt, or to straps (or a sash) over the shoulder. Blade length may vary from 700 to 950mm.
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Postby MonkeyX » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:24 am

Thanks. I know it’s kind of a minor detail but if stuuf like this was included in the new naval adventure boxset then I think it really adds to worldbuilding.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:56 pm

An Officer and A Gentleman should always be armed and ready, and carry a weapon.

This may be dependent on precisely which naval academy you graduate from, since tradition and/or doctrine could differ.

You don't need to know how to utilize a dress sword, just know enough not hurt yourself with the likely blunted edge, whereas grabbing a cutlass from the armoury has a more practical application under certain conditions.