[Drinax] Campaign log

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

[Drinax] Campaign log

Postby Pyromancer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:21 pm

This thread is for updates and questions about our upcoming "Pirates of Drinax" campaign. It will be some time until the campaign begins, since there are other campaigns to finish first, but the first characters have been built:

- Sala, the King's young niece, rebellious master duelist, who wants to escape from the constraints of the floating palace and have adventures.
- Maximus, Earl of Maki (a fiefdom on Number One), a fat pilot urged by his ambitious mother to participate in King Oleb's plan; has a robot butler to take care of him.
- Nikki Kleinkrug, a cunning engineer with a cyber-eye, who attracted the king's attention with a spectacular prank during a state reception.
- Jari Tjuri, a restorer and art historian who dreams of Sindal's lost treasures. He also is psionic.

The will be another character, but I'm already eager to play with this group!
Baldo
Weasel

Re: [Drinax] Campaign log

Postby Baldo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:58 pm

Pyromancer wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:21 pm
There will be another character...
Try an Aslan from the Hierate. It's true I have a soft spot for honor-driven warriors with more ranks in Melee (Natural) than Tolerance (yeah, played too many D&D games... ), but having an allied Aslan in the party WILL be useful, in my experience.
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Postby MonkeyX » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 pm

At face value they do t seem “piraty”. are you planning a more political take on the adventures?
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

Postby Pyromancer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:52 pm

MonkeyX wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:51 pm
At face value they do t seem “piraty”. are you planning a more political take on the adventures?
I'll let the players do their thing, but at the moment I fully expect that actual piracy will not be front and center of our campaign.
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:49 pm

How about someone who is related to Lord Wrax so that it's easier to gain him as A Ally, which can only be a good thing
M J Dougherty
Stoat

Postby M J Dougherty » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:23 pm

I would suggest creating a character and playing the game as it happens rather than trying to build a success-machine group.

There are plenty of ways the Drinax campaign can be the backdrop for adventures without doing much of the piratey thing.
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

Postby Pyromancer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:40 pm

Music for our campaign:
Intro
Outro (8:15-9:08)
allanimal
Banded Mongoose

Postby allanimal » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:21 pm

JMISBEST wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:49 pm
How about someone who is related to Lord Wrax so that it's easier to gain him as A Ally, which can only be a good thing
The PCs in my campaign hate Wrax, and the feeling is mutual. Not sure at this point how his help would have put the PCs in a better position. But who knows.... maybe if they made nice from the get-go, he could have been less resentful that they have the best warship Drinax has seen in ages, rather than him.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:45 pm

allanimal wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:21 pm
The PCs in my campaign hate Wrax, and the feeling is mutual.
Possible e-mail from Wrax to the player characters:

Respected Enemies,

If my people catch you by surprise, they will kill you, or capture you and make you wish they killed you. I understand that your feelings about me are similar.

However, we have other enemies. We probably have common enemies. In the event that there is a common enemy worse than each other, it would be worthwhile to have a channel to communicate.

If you wish to contact me, you may visit F'tisawa Khorrg. She is a Vargr who thinks she is Aslan. Her passenger agency is on [pick a world], in the Ekho Building on Weakhto Avenue. My people are ordered to grant you safe passage in the event that they encounter you anywhere along Weakhto Avenue between the starport Aslan Gate and her office.

In case you doubt the authenticity of this message, my contact code is in the public record on numerous worlds, including [pick a world they have visited], where my people looked up your contact code.

Your Enemy,
Wrax

This foreshadows a couple of things:
- Wrax might have his people mess with the characters if they cross paths somewhere other than the safe passage road.
- They might have worse enemies than Wrax.
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Wrax is a foil in my campaign as well. He curries favor with the king and amplifies every misstep by the players into a catastrophic failure. The hatred between Wrax and the players is mutual and palpable. The one exception: the ex-marine colonel and war hero in the groupo is on speaking terms with Wrax. I think Wrax wonders why such a skilled and honorable warrior would stoop so low as to be a pirate. Perhaps he sees a redeemable soul among the players. :)
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."