How unprofessional is it?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Banded Mongoose

How unprofessional is it?

Postby JMISBEST » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:14 pm

Based on what I'd have done if I was in the same situation how unprofessional is it if A Traveller Version of World Famous Boxer Mike Tyson agrees to take part in A Charity Boxing Tournament but deliberately forfeits in the 1st round cos he's seen all other competitors and doesn't want to run the risk of unintentionally causing a injury that could end 1 or more promising young boxers careers before they've truly started?
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

Re: How unprofessional is it?

Postby Pyromancer » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Boxers spar all the time against weaker opponents without injuring them. So on a professionalism scale from 1 (least professional) to 10 (most professional), I'd rate this boxer at 1 - and this is a very generous 1.
M J Dougherty
Stoat

Postby M J Dougherty » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:28 pm

It is entirely possible to defeat less skilled opponents without harming them. I've done it many times.

If someone takes liberties, of course, they get at least one or perhaps even both barrels. so to speak.

But generally speaking there is honour among fighters. Those who accept the situation get their asses handed to them in a no-harm way that they'll be able to tell stories about for years to come... and with mutual respect. If some asshat behaves like a dick he'll get clobbered and he'll deserve it.

I don't think a pro would want to do what you say and they would not need to. You don't throw a fight without harming your career and reputation.

So your pro fighter almost certainly would not do what you say.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:59 pm

You can put it into a game theory matrix if the champion and the newbie are matched:

Champion is honorable, newbie is sensible:
Champion says, "I don't want to kill you in the ring. See you when you have a worthy record?"
Newbie replies, "I'll be there sooner than you expect. Can you get the organizers to set me up against [appropriate opponent name] instead? Or can we do a sparring exhibition?"

Champion is honorable, newbie is stupid:
Champion says, "I don't want to kill you in the ring. See you when you have a worthy record?"
Newbie replies, "I'm ready, old man!"
Champion says, "Talk to my lawyer, punk."

Champion is horrible, newbie is sensible:
Champion says, "You're going down the moment the bell rings."
Newbie says, "I didn't sign up to be killed in the ring. If my manager can't get me a suitable match, I'll have to default."

Champion is horrible, newbie is stupid:
Newbie goes down the first time he's hit, and wakes up in the hospital with career ending injuries.

Note that none of those cases include anyone taking a dive.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Not unprofesional at all.

Every single intelligent person in the known universe would hail him/her/them as a hero for standing up for their principles. They would then go into politics and be elected as the next Emperor of the Universe - Every single time.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Old School
Shrew

Postby Old School » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:07 am

Don’t count on it.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:03 pm

Don Key would probably sue him for breach of contract.