What to do

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

What to do

Postby JMISBEST » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:27 pm

I've decided not to retire as A GM due to being too well known in my area to find a group that'l take me anywhere within easy commute

Anyway what's bothering me is that I took over from Another GM for 1 session and my famous, not always in a good way, with the dice meant that The 2 Portfolio Rolls I made in A 10 real-life hours or 3.85 in-game years where 2 10's then 2 12 's, which increased A Pc's Huntimg Estates Value from Cr 80,000,000 netting him Cr 400,000 per month to worth Cr 352,000,000 and netting him Cr 1,760,000 per month. What should I do and what should I tell her(Male Character and Female Player) GM, its not even cheatimg, its just the greatesr luck with dice that I can ever recall seeing and I can very roughly recall back tio thebvery early 90's
PsiTraveller
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: What to do

Postby PsiTraveller » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:30 pm

Congratulate the player on his luck and retire the character. The character has no reason to take part in any of the smaller aspects of life, they hire people for that.

Have them roll a Merchant character with a share in a Far Trader and a mortage to handle.

Unless you like playing Accountants and tax lawyers with a spreadsheet in front of you.

Although all your characters/games/concepts seem to be on the far end of the bell curve of the Luck. Maybe you have some unknown psi talent.

But if you want a manageable game stick to results that don't have so many significant numbers in front of the decimal place.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:07 am

Always with the math. Can't Travellers ever be Travellers without bragging how much MCr they make? How about taking all their riches away. Then see how far a game session is role-played out with your players.
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:00 am

So, you took over for a session and now the Travellers are fabulously rich because you had 3.84 or whatever game years pass and made the usual incredible die rolls?

What do your players actually do in their games? Traveller as written revolves around a bunch of people doing stuff with limited resources rather than waiting another year and making another roll to see how much money they now have. Trying not to drown in the pile of diamonds that regularly must get shovelled on their heads might be a challenge, but beyond that are they doing any actual adventuring?

As I've said elsewhere, the fact that you're constantly asking these questions suggests you're creating an unworkable situation.

As for what to do... maybe apologise for making this other GM's players grossly overpowered and breaking their game settting. Then create some normal Traveller characters and see how much fun you can have in a week on 289 credits. Do stuff. Go on adventures. Enjoy the details of the cheap-ass starport bar, the overland drive in a poorly maintained ATV. The adventures to be had when you live the life of an adventurer rather than glossing over whole years at a time whilst waiting for the next unbelievably lucky roll on the Vast Riches Table you created.

Play Flatlined. Doesn't matter how many billions you have in the bank, you don't know what planet you're on or how you got there. You're in a low berth in a vessel that's sinking in a lake. Water is coming in and you haven't even got any shoes.

Players will need to do something right now, and live with the consequences. Waiting a decade to see how many planets you can buy is not an option.....
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:16 am

Marooned on Marduk.... you have what's in the downed shuttle. There are things out there in the brush and someone is hunting you - you can't stay in the wreck. Need to move, to do something right now, to solve problems.

The Calixcuel Incident... the seabed Arcology is leaking, lights are going out. If the seawater reaches the reactor everyone inside is dead. And there are hositle giant squid out there in the ocean....

Mission to Mithril: Far too many people jammed in this ATV. Some of them are at odds with one another. We have to fight a hostile planet, giant ice worms, space pirates and maybe each other.
M J Dougherty
Banded Mongoose

Postby M J Dougherty » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:17 am

Traveller is supposed to be about people doing stuff, not stock portfolios.

Try it. You'll like it and maybe some of the questions will become irrelevant.
Darkmoon
Shrew

Postby Darkmoon » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:18 pm

Stop GM'img (some simple questions just have a simple answer)
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:13 pm

Even if the characters are rich, there are adventures to be found. What if pirates kidnap the richest character's financial manager, who is the only person who knows the password to a critical financial account? There's a war brewing and the noble's overlord needs money from the manager's account to fund the raising of a combat force. It has to be there by the end of the year or the noble will be default of his feudal obligations and at risk of losing titles and land. And the kidnappers demand that the noble negotiate in person. The negotiations will be hosted by an independent world with a reputation as a safe place for hostage negotiations. And they're demanding legal title to a fully functional starship as the ransom, so they need to make the trip in the cheapest ship they can scrounge up to minimize the cost of the rescue.