Passenger & Freight world DMs?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Jump Dave
Weasel

Passenger & Freight world DMs?

Postby Jump Dave » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:37 am

For the world-based DMs for lining up passengers (Core Rules, pg. 207) and Freight (pg. 208), are these to be applied based on the starting world, the destination world, or both?

The DM tables just say "World" without specifying which one, and the only text I can find that implies which should be used is in the Seeking Passengers section: "The number of potential passengers seeking passage to any given destination varies depending on a number of factors", which seems to imply the destination.

Thanks!
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Passenger & Freight world DMs?

Postby AnotherDilbert » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:12 am

I think only the destination world is intended, but I use both worlds since i expect large worlds have more traffic.
Jump Dave
Weasel

Postby Jump Dave » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:15 pm

"Both" makes the most sense to me as well - I was just wondering what the writer's intent was.
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:12 am

The realistic way to model freight and passenger traffic amounts to multiplying the population of each world, multiplying by any world type modifiers (starport, rich, poor, distance, etc.), and dividing the result by a great big number to scale the numbers, and then putting a cap on the number available to small operators that represents the amount left over after corporate operators grab the bulk business.

That's how Far Trader works, but it hides the really large numbers behind the powers-of-ten population codes used in universal world profiles. That also allows addition and subtraction to replace multiplication and division.
Jump Dave
Weasel

Postby Jump Dave » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:47 am

How adaptable is GURPS: Far Trader to other systems (e.g. CT, Mongoose)?
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:00 am

Jump Dave wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:47 am
How adaptable is GURPS: Far Trader to other systems (e.g. CT, Mongoose)?
About the only things that don't directly translate the other systems are skill rolls; you would have to pick similar skills for those. There's also the difference in technology levels, but those only apply to World Trade Numbers, which are something that can be looked up instead of working through the tables.