How do you generate child characters?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Tom Kalbfus
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: How do you generate child characters?

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Condottiere wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:41 pm

Usually you don't have enough character development points for kids to be outstanding in any or a number of skills or characteristics, unless the game sort of focuses on these overgrown rugrats.

You could somehow figure out what they sacrificed to devote ten thousand hours to develop that skill.

If they are spacebrats, it would be irresponsible for parents not to teach them basic space skills.
You know a lot of what kids learn after Elementary School is fairly useless to their future careers. For instance Social Studies isn't needed to operate a spaceship, neither is Music or Gym. A person probably needs to learn how to read and math is good to know, substitute technical training for the fine arts and the humanities. What do you think of that?
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:37 pm

That's because we have the luxury of giving them a generalist education, rather than shuffling them off immediately to an apprenticeship.

Kids can pick up knowledge and skills from adults they hang around with; they may devote an inordinate amount of time to some hobby that could have some practical application.

You could always lower the prime education characteristic, and in brackets have an increased characteristic specific to some field of science or art, which reflects the greater amount of time spent studying that.
NOLATrav
Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 pm

I have a very simple Birthworld/Early History mechanic that occurs before char gen IMTU, which can result in being an Orphan of various flavors. Same 3 + EDU DM BG skills but provides some flavor and bones for the player to hang character ideas on.

This thread has inspired me to let those orphans begin a career at a younger age (thinking 18 - 1D3 years) or perhaps enter play directly at that younger age with their handful of level 0 skills. Connections and game package skills can give them a focus. Not 10,000 hours of focus obviously but enough to make the character viable.

Good job, team!
BigDogsRunning
Mongoose

Postby BigDogsRunning » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:49 am

Freelance Traveller has a number of articles that address this very topic in the "Doing it my way" section.
https://www.freelancetraveller.com/feat ... index.html
NOLATrav
Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:06 pm

BigDogsRunning wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:49 am
Freelance Traveller has a number of articles that address this very topic in the "Doing it my way" section.
https://www.freelancetraveller.com/feat ... index.html
Ha! Beat me to it
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:45 pm

I found the specific Freelance Traveller article:
"Suffer Unto Me the Little Children" by Richard Morey, April 2013