Rail gun bay weapons auto ability

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Carolus
Cub

Rail gun bay weapons auto ability

Postby Carolus » Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:55 pm

I was looking at the bay weapons in High Guard and something strikes me as rather odd. The medium and large rail gun in the bay weapon tables have an auto score of 6. Now according to the core rulebook a full auto attack consumes ammunition equal to thrice the auto score, so that would be 18 in this case. However the description of the rail gun bays states that the weapon holds "enough ammunition for 12 attacks each".

So are the large and medium railgun bays unable to use the full auto attack? That would put them at a significant disadvantage over the small bay which has an auto score of 4 and thus can use the full auto mode. Did I miss a rule somewhere that you can use a lower autoscore than the weapon has or that the auto trait works differently for spaceship weapons? Or is this just a small oversight?
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Rail gun bay weapons auto ability

Postby AnotherDilbert » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:17 pm

I assume it means that it can make 12 attack actions at full auto. Note that it says "12 attacks", not 12 rounds.

The rail-guns are not all that good, so to cripple them with ridiculous ammo consumption would be undesirable.
Carolus
Cub

Postby Carolus » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Hmm, that is true. But then again, "an attack" is not normally the same as "an attack at full auto". It does make some sense though, since the missle bays hold enough missles for 12 salvos. I guess it would be the easiest way to handle it at the very least. :P
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Carolus wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:55 pm
according to the core rulebook
High Guard rules replace core rules.
Carolus
Cub

Postby Carolus » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:33 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:32 pm
High Guard rules replace core rules.
Be that as it may, there are no rules for the auto trait mentioned in high guard, as far as I know. That's why I asked.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:23 am

Twelve bursts is standard for all railgun bays.

And High Guard kinetic weapon systems in general.