Question about poisons

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Kodiak3d
Shrew

Question about poisons

Postby Kodiak3d » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:13 pm

As I read it, poisons work like diseases, meaning that once you successfully make an Endurance check, you've beat it. That seems kinda weak to me considering how short the intervals are. Tranq gas, for example, has an interval of only 1D seconds. Doesn't seem like a very effective tranq gas if someone can wake up from it after 6 seconds or less. I'm assuming a character needs to make continued checks as long as he/she is exposed to the poison (i.e. a room filled with gas).

Am I missing something? Anyone else care to share their thoughts on how poisons work?
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Question about poisons

Postby Reynard » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:04 pm

"If the Traveller fails an END check, he takes the listed damage
and must make another END check a few hours or days later,
depending on the Interval of the disease. Once an END check
has been passed, the Traveller has fought off the disease.
At the referee’s discretion, some more tenacious diseases may
require multiple successful checks to shake off."

Substitute 'poison' for 'disease'. Even a tranq can keep someone down with good rolls by the administrator. It's not supposed to take a person down for hours just long enough to restrain or slip by the affected target. If a dose is continuously administered such as your room of gas then you can rule the person is down until the gas is removed.
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Re: Question about poisons

Postby MonkeyX » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 pm

We did this on Treasure Ship as the PCs tranq gassed the entire crew using the air system. With the gas continuously in each room I had the cre make a new End check each round until they got out of a filled room