Ready Player One Query?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Ready Player One Query?

Postby Hopeless » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:26 pm

Has anyone tried running their own version of Ready Player One?
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Ready Player One Query?

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:50 pm

This might be tough to play in Traveller. Cyberspace is something that Traveller tended to ignore.

Shadowrun might be a better gaming system or Mindjammer?
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:23 am

You can run it with Traveller mechanics and add reference points so the PCs know it's an artificial universe. Haven't seen more than a commercial for the movie so I don't know how 'realistic' it's supposed to be.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:58 pm

Depends on how close you follow the Spielberg vision.

I'd say losing all your coin zeroes out your character in the Oasis.
Tom Kalbfus
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Hopeless wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:26 pm
Has anyone tried running their own version of Ready Player One?
Nah, Player One is not ready!
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hopeless » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Been wondering about this.

Eventually a wave of generation ships are sent out from Earth they start off colonising the rest of the solar system establishing bases where possible in preparation for the next advance.

Eventually this involves leaving the solar system for another star system but dependant on a crew that needs to be replaced every so often in case the "colony" can't cover all of the positions needed to keep the ship operational.

The slumbering passengers/crew are linked into a VR-like world where they can live their lives preparing for their eventual awakening so multiple artifical enviornments are developed to cover all potential training let alone advances the result of the active crew and the ship's sensors and their exploration of the space they're passing through.

Could start off with the players experiencing what we recognise today as normal life then all of a sudden called upon to complete a mission then discover they wake up aboard a generation ship over a thousand light years away from earth to help repair an essential ship system. even explore a potential new home or potential new resource whether fuel, materials or building a waystation for the next generation ship to make use of?

Imagine instead of Sword Art Online we see the Matrix modern day one moment then wake up to a Mass Effect Andromeda situation except you're still en route, would that be an interesting opening to a game?
Tom Kalbfus
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:09 am

I saw Ready Player One. Not a bad movie. As for VR. Imagine a starship carrying an entire virtual Earth. Everything is normal on this virtual Earth, the simulation is of Earth in the past, humans are stuck on Earth or seem to be within the simulation, and suddenly the simulation ends when the ship arrives in system, maybe sometime after a planet has been terraformed, and humans are downloaded from the ship's computer.