SITREP MJD

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
M J Dougherty
Weasel

Re: SITREP MJD

Postby M J Dougherty » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:13 pm

There's probably some of my stuff not on there, but I can't think of anything offhand.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:09 pm

steve98052 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:21 pm
. . .
It also might be nice to have the In Design templates saved in Scribus format too; hobbyist writers don't usually want to spend $20 per month for desktop publishing software they rarely use. But if templates don't readily save-as, I suppose we can just look at published Mongoose books and follow their style, or use their own style.
MonkeyX wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 pm
I second a Scribus template. I use it for all my layout work and if it were available a few Traveller may actually be on the horizon.
OK, I'm downloading a seven-day trial version of In Design. My oh my, it's a slow download. And if I ever need to open another In Design document beyond the seven days, I'll have to pay up. But at least I'll have that TAS template in Scribus format, assuming I can figure out enough about In Design to export the template elements, and create a Scribus template from them. Maybe I'll also do a Word template, in case Scribus feels like overkill.

Of course, I probably can't share the Scribus or Word templates without permission from Mongoose, even if I manage to get them to work. Anyway, time to wait 42 to 44 minutes for the rest of the download, then who knows how long to figure out how to use the darn thing.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:50 am

Update:
  • I've managed to install my seven-day trial of In Design.
  • It didn't work at first because I forgot to install the four fonts listed on the design template page (Walkway, League Gothic, Code Bold, Alegre Sans.) I installed them.
  • It still didn't work, because I failed to install some fonts not listed on the design template page, including some that were supposed to have been covered with the links on the page. I searched, and installed them. They're all at least legal for personal use, but I'm not sure they're all free for commercial use though, so they may not be permissible in a paid-for document. I couldn't find an exact match for one of the fonts (something "No. 18"), and had to do a manual substitution.
  • I exported as EPS, as described in a procedure for converting things to Scribus, and I got some error messages, most relating to absent images. I searched for the absent images, and they were nowhere to be found.
  • I imported with Scribus. Each attempted import took quite a bit of time, even though I have a halfway respectable machine with 16 GB of memory and an SSD. I got lots and lots of errors:
    • traveller template_1.eps : Converting of 4 images failed!
    • traveller template_2.eps : Converting of 145 images failed!
    • traveller template_3.eps : Converting of 137 images failed!
    • traveller template_4.eps : Converting of 146 images failed!
    • traveller template_5.eps : Converting of 152 images failed!
    • traveller template_6.eps : Converting of 1 images failed! [sic: It didn't change the dialog box to "image".]
    • traveller template_7.eps : Converting of 1 images failed! [sic]
    • traveller template_8.eps : Converting of 43 images failed!
    • traveller template_9.eps : Converting of 41 images failed!
    • traveller template_10.eps : Converting of 224 images failed!
    • traveller template_11.eps : Converting of 1212 images failed!
    • traveller template_12.eps : Converting of 229 images failed!
    • traveller template_13.eps : Converting of 1172 images failed!
It's probably obvious that I'm a bit frustrated by this process. I have to run errands. When I get back, I think I'll ask my wife if I can use her PDF editing software, and try to replicate it in Word. Maybe I'll do Scribus later.

So far, my experience with In Design is pretty similar to everything else by Adobe (except Premiere, in spite of its quirks): I find it aggravating.