Psionics vs. aliens

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Psionics vs. aliens

Postby paltrysum » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:20 am

How do you handle psionics when used by a human against aliens? For example, using the various telepathy skills on an Aslan or Vargr mind. What if the alien doesn't even speak Galanglic? Surely language is a part of psionic comprehension and suggestion. Has anyone addressed this situation and how did you handle it?
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Psionics vs. aliens

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 am

A voice in their head that they don't understand. I don't have any psionic translator that I remember. Maybe a mental image can be used instead.
Linwood
Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 am

Emotions might still translate but could be shaped by the alien’s culture to a degree. Images would come through but might be altered by differences in the alien’s senses.

I’d consider allowing a check against the psion’s knowledge of the alien’s language or culture to interpret what he/she reads/sees.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:24 pm

You'd need some universal informational exchange; I think it was covered in Flandry.

Generally speaking, unless they're speaking similar languages, seems unlikely.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:43 am

What if it is a human that speaks English trying to read the thoughts of someone who speaks French, is that any different to a a galanglic speaker vs a Vargr speaker?
SSWarlock
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SSWarlock » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:52 am

For psionic use between two species that has similar sensory organs, simplistic imagery would seem to work best. But the sensory experiences of both need to be extremely similar, like those of the various humanity species and Vargr. Trying to communicate imagery psionically between something like a human and a Jgd-ll-jagd isn't going to work.
Sir Dhaven Hevelin, IOD, Baronet of Fulacin
Owner/Captain - S.S. Warlock

Playing Traveller/RQ/D&D since 1977