What would happen to them?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

What would happen to them?

Postby JMISBEST » Thu May 31, 2018 11:52 am

What would happen in a friends campaign to A Group of Pcs that contained A Powerful Telepath in a version of where Psionics are legal but very heavily restrictee that have 3 times being attacked by Pirates, faked surrender, used The Telepath's Mass Mental Enslavement Power that The GM created to, all 3 times, mentally enslave The Entire Pirate Ships Crew and add it to their sizeable fleet when they eventually return to Imperial Space with 2 400 ton wanted pirate ships both with 14 crew and and 1 600 wanted Pirate Ship with 22 crew and none of them with the documents or anything similiar to show they acquired them in a way that's legal, even if only oin my friends version of Traveller

As well as which according to The GM that power needs A 16+ but The Player has A PSI DM of +2, Telepath /3 and the group faked trying to escape long enough for her to prepare her mind for such a difficult task to take her time enough to increase time needed from 1 to 3 minutes to 10 to 60 minutes for another +3 DM or +8 in total and despite only needing A 8+ she/the player not the characfer, rolled A 10 twice and A 12 once
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: What would happen to them?

Postby locarno24 » Thu May 31, 2018 1:49 pm

Narratively?

Two things:

1) The Imperium, if it gets even a sniff of what happened (note the lack of paperwork, and the fact that at least some of these people have massive outstanding warrants), will be very interested in poking this particular individual. People like Galen will be sent to have a word. Even if psionics are legal in this setting, they are - as you say - restricted, and "what we do about exceptionally powerful psychics with criminal potential" is going to be a standing policy.
2) What happens when this effect wears off and the pirates change their mind about not shooting you is likely to be very unpleasant.

Rules wise?

As an observation, Mass Enslavement is ridiculous. A PSI DM+2 and Telepathy/3 is impressive, but compare its effect on a 16+ (essentially DM-8) to the existing powers (note - I can only speak for 1e but I doubt the powers have got much better...traveller psychic powers are invariably a bit poor in actual effect and are far more Babylon 5 than Warhammer 40k.)

Assault - DM-6 - meaning a base roll of 14+ or only a couple of points shy of this abomination. Effect? About the same as a handgun or stunner attack on one opponent.

Range - if this power is being used ship-to-ship, you're talking an effective range of tens or hundreds of kilometres.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: What would happen to them?

Postby JMISBEST » Thu May 31, 2018 3:54 pm

It only works within a range of a few large rooms and The Groups member with the highest Persaude Skill DM has persuaded all 3 pirate crews that this is part of a very obscure religion from a very remote part of a very remote planet. As for the effects wearing of they are heading into Imperial Space as its getting dangerously close fo the time that The Power wears off and want to collect the sizeable bounties and invest the money in enough business's using 2nd edition versions of The 1st edition Portfolio rules to recruit and pay legal ship workers before its too late