Dodging

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Stumondo
Shrew

Dodging

Postby Stumondo » Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 pm

One of my players has brought this up.

Under Dodging, Pg 72 CRB, dodging inflicts a negative DM equal to DEX DM or Athletic (dexterity), whichever is higher. To me this implies that it's the higher flat number.

He pointed out that the skills athletics allows you to add it's rating to your Dex. So if he had Dex +2 and Athletics 1, his dodge is 3 not 2. After reading more, I'm leaning to agreeing with him, partly due to the sheer lethality of the game, especially when it comes to destructive weapons.

Are there any rulings or thoughts on this? My only worry is reaching game breaking dodge numbers.

Thanks
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Dodging

Postby AnotherDilbert » Tue May 15, 2018 1:18 pm

When the rules say Skill (such as Athletic (dexterity)) they generally mean effective skill, the task DM. At least that was indicated during the beta when similar questions arose.

So in this case, Athletic (dexterity) means the raw skill plus the DEX DM = 1 + 2 = 3.
arcador
Banded Mongoose

Postby arcador » Tue May 15, 2018 3:52 pm

To add something
He pointed out that the skills athletics allows you to add it's rating to your Dex.
Use this with caution. It means when a Characteristic check is called, so it will not apply to any other skill used with Dex (i.e. you don't add athletics to your gun combat)
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed May 16, 2018 12:56 am

Stumondo wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 pm
DM equal to DEX DM or Athletic (dexterity), whichever is higher.
Simple. Use the value that is higher. Your Traveller's DEX DM, or your Traveller's Athletic (dexterity) skill. The number gets subtracted from the attacker's die roll. Remember... Your Traveller is not doing a Task Check. Your Traveller is Dodging. And tell your player to stop cheating.