Characters Height and Weight

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JNJ
Shrew

Characters Height and Weight

Postby JNJ » Tue May 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi,

Did I miss it ? I can't find any rule for determining a character height and weight (By race, gender, planetary gravity, etc...).

As far as I remmeber, there was one in TNE and in T20 at least.

Any for Mgt ?

Thanks for your help and thoughts.
JNJ
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Characters Height and Weight

Postby Hopeless » Tue May 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Wasn't there something in T2300 about that?

Page 89 of MongT 1st edition T2300 bases it on the homeworld gravity as a basis for starting height with +10 or -10% variation on this for both height & weight (85kg weight) with female deducting 10cm and 10kg off this.

There's also traits that effect weight such as Heavy.

There must be something else that deals with this isn't there?
JNJ
Shrew

Postby JNJ » Tue May 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Hopeless wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:22 pm
Wasn't there something in T2300 about that?

Page 89 of MongT 1st edition T2300 bases it on the homeworld gravity as a basis for starting height with +10 or -10% variation on this for both height & weight (85kg weight) with female deducting 10cm and 10kg off this.

There's also traits that effect weight such as Heavy.

There must be something else that deals with this isn't there?
Thanks for your insight, didn't saw that. Probably something in T5 also.
NOLATrav
Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Wed May 02, 2018 1:24 am

Spica Career Book 3 for MgT 1e has tables for height and weight, hair, eye and skin color, the effects of aging and also extended family background.

I will never get tired of mentioning these Spica career books - such an excellent resource! They are on DriveThruRPG.
JNJ
Shrew

Postby JNJ » Wed May 02, 2018 8:10 am

Thanks Nola, I'll check that
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Sat May 05, 2018 5:04 pm

I don't recall where I've seen such rules, but there are a lot of versions. One point for realism is that men and women of equal height tend to be very similar in weight; men average heavily than women because they're taller on average.

So when building game rules, it's good to start with a height formula, such as: characteristics adjustment + gender adjustment + homeworld gravity adjustment + genetic adjustment + normal curve dice. (By genetic adjustment, I mean that Darrians and Zhodani tend to be tall, some Minor Human Races tend to be short, Solomani are typical, and I don't remember about Vilani. To get a decent normal curve, you need three or more dice; two give a triangle distribution, and one gives a flat distribution.) Once height is determined, the weight formula doesn't need a gender adjustment, unless it's something specific to a particular Minor Human Race.