Dogfight rules

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Tupper
Cub

Dogfight rules

Postby Tupper » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:58 pm

I'm a bit confused by the dogfighting rules.

1. If initiating a dogfight is a substantial action, how does a fighter pilot actually attack? Isn't their action used by the dogfighting (unless they didn't initiate the dogfight).

2. If the bonus/penalty to hit lasts until the end of the round, then winning a dogfight against someone with higher initiative seems a bit pointless. They will have already attacked before it kicks in.

3. The dogfighting described in space combat alludes to dogfight rolls being resolved at the start of the round, rather than on a pilot's initiative... is this how things are supposed to work in vehicle combat? It's alluded that space dogfights are just using standard vehicle combat.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Dogfight rules

Postby AnotherDilbert » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:04 pm

Tupper wrote: I'm a bit confused by the dogfighting rules.
We all are...
Tupper wrote: 1. If initiating a dogfight is a substantial action, how does a fighter pilot actually attack? Isn't their action used by the dogfighting (unless they didn't initiate the dogfight).
Dogfighting starts automatically as soon as you are close enough, there is no action to initiate.

Tupper wrote: 2. If the bonus/penalty to hit lasts until the end of the round, then winning a dogfight against someone with higher initiative seems a bit pointless. They will have already attacked before it kicks in.
I assume both roll at the same time, at the beginning of the round.

Tupper wrote: 3. The dogfighting described in space combat alludes to dogfight rolls being resolved at the start of the round, rather than on a pilot's initiative... is this how things are supposed to work in vehicle combat? It's alluded that space dogfights are just using standard vehicle combat.
I assume so.

A spacecraft dogfight is somewhere between spacecraft combat and vehicle combat, somewhat undefined.
Tupper
Cub

Postby Tupper » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:07 pm

Great answers. Thanks a bunch. I feel a bit less foolish for being confused by the rules!
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:21 am

The moment aggro starts on either side, is when a dog fight begins. Ambushes help one side at first.
arcador
Banded Mongoose

Postby arcador » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:36 am

I remember reading on a few spots that one of the ships can escape the dogfight.

However, how is that possible, and when to your interpretations? Is it really possible if the enemy is faster? Also, I assume, at best, if possible at all, it will give 1 round (6 min) before the enemy catches on.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:25 pm

You escape by outrunning everyone else. Or everything.