Super-suite on a cruise ship

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Super-suite on a cruise ship

Postby phavoc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:05 pm

We've already read about the mini-apartment onboard some Airbus 380s (complete with your own shower) that runs a cool $25k per flight, and now here is a bi-level suite on a cruise ship that retails for $60k for a 7 day cruise. The 1st class parlor suite on the Titanic cost $100k for the passage. There were four of these on the Titanic, each with private promenades (link - https://sites.google.com/a/reviusplein. ... eck-suites).

Does anyone add similar concepts to the ships you design? The standard 4 Dton cabin concept doesn't quite fit.

http://www.businessinsider.com/royal-ca ... m=referral
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Re: Super-suite on a cruise ship

Postby Condottiere » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:38 pm

The Admiral's suite.

That lifestyle is too foreign for me to comprehend, but I believe it's linked to an income where you just accumulate more than you can spend.

Or you're a Cabinet Secretary.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:01 pm

I actually use a range of Cabin sizes - Standard Cabins are the basic 4Dton models in the book.

I also try to take into account different sized occupants, so a Standard Cabin is Comfortable for a Medium sized occupant (human), Luxurious for a Small occupant and Cramped for a Large occupant.

I have Staterooms running from 2Dtons to 20Dtons... Cost escallates based on tonnage.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:11 pm

We have "staterooms" ranging from 4 Dt to 10 Dt, just add Common Area to taste...

Deciding exactly which rooms to divide the available space into and how big they should be is something for the deck-plan design.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:30 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:11 pm
Deciding exactly which rooms to divide the available space into and how big they should be is something for the deck-plan design.
They don't have to be fixed, could have movable partitions and such to suit different occupants.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 pm

I think you may have difficulty in charging Cr30,000 for a roon with movable partitions.

Plus, it's a spaceship, operative word on space. Cabins should be the last line of defense for exposure to vacuum. So a cabin really needs to be self- contained. Movable partitions should only be there if they could be sealed airtight and also not look like they were movable. Some cargo aircraft have the ability to remove seats and carpeting to switch between passengers and freight. Bit these aircraft also don't service first class passengers. And it has to be done by maintenance crews not the air crew.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:02 am

phavoc wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:44 pm
Plus, it's a spaceship, operative word on space. Cabins should be the last line of defense for exposure to vacuum. So a cabin really needs to be self- contained. Movable partitions should only be there if they could be sealed airtight and also not look like they were movable. Some cargo aircraft have the ability to remove seats and carpeting to switch between passengers and freight. Bit these aircraft also don't service first class passengers. And it has to be done by maintenance crews not the air crew.
It can still be self contained, just within the space of the cabin itself, obviously not changing any bulkheads or anything like that. Don't see first class being a problem, another option to customize the cabin to your liking, choose your configuration and it is all setup for you prior to your arrival.
NOLATrav
Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:16 am

I use a selection of staterooms as well, from 4dT up to 12dT. Also on some ships varying amenities can make same-sized staterooms Steerage, Mid or High. Higher costs but also higher income depending.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:36 pm

I had a 945 square foot suite on a family cruise last year, with lots of handmade art deco furnishings, like sapele inlay woodwork on the walls. (Sapele is a prettier, less expensive substitute for mahogany.) That's 88 square meters, about 19 dtons, or almost five standard Traveller staterooms. There were only two suites like it on the ship, and only two larger suites on the ship, out of about 1000 total staterooms.

I recently designed a Traveller liner with 100 staterooms -- one triple size, three double size, and 96 regular. That's about the same percentage mix as on the ship I was on. If I design a larger liner, I'll probably make the ultimate suite around six standard staterooms.