adding a simple opportunity fire

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
demonsbane
Cub

adding a simple opportunity fire

Postby demonsbane » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:53 pm

I'm thinking about adding a simple opportunity fire rule (being able to run around in the field of view of an enemy providing you run into cover meaning you can't be road at with the dms adding up.

Also adding a cover rule (such this time covering a single point ( in a manner similar to snapshot). Overall I do like the simplicity of the RAW, its just that not having these points grates a bit. Really don't want to add anymore complexity. Am I missing some oblivious issue by trying to do these things ?
arcador
Banded Mongoose

Re: adding a simple opportunity fire

Postby arcador » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:36 pm

From the 1st edition (and a lot of other rpg rules), you can use the "ready action". It allows interjecting an action into the enemy turn.

As a GM I allow 1 major action maximum. If the "ready action" is triggered, it changes the initiative of the traveller (to avoid double action). With ready action, it allows for "overwatch"/"snapshot" or moving away from a grenade/area weapon. Of course, certain events can disallow triggering the "readied action". To be honest, I rule them on case-by-case basis than a solid rule, as players tend to get too much board game/meta.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:54 pm

I agree that you should not allow more major actions.

You can allow everyones next major action against the temporarily uncovered character to be without cover DM, basically the shot happened when he was running.
arcador
Banded Mongoose

Postby arcador » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:09 pm

My advice is to be careful with the rule, only allow it for characters who are prepared for it, or are pointing their attention in that direction (and are not "flat-footed"), otherwise the whole combat experience can quickly become "I only fire while the enemy is moving out of/to cover". If players are arguing, roll a mini initiative opposed check.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:09 pm

From other systems, you could apply overwatch (or would we call it high guard?), in that character has reserved his actions for the off phase.

Or some kind of check based on observation, dexterity and possibly intelligence.