PCs as instructors

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Hakkonen
Stoat

PCs as instructors

Postby Hakkonen » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:43 am

Is there a rule for PCs teaching each other? As in, can a PC instructor give a bonus on another's training EDU check?
MonkeyX
Stoat

Re: PCs as instructors

Postby MonkeyX » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:48 am

I’m allowing my one pc with a Gun Combat skill of 4 to help instruct other characters granting them a Boon on their Edu roll to see if they improve the skill.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:06 am

LBB4 has Instruction skill:
In addition to general training functions players with Instructional expertise may impart knowledge of certain well-understood skills to other players. Players may Impart skills to other players up to a level of one less than their instructional skill and one less than their own skill level in the skill being taught. Thus, a player with Instruction-4 , Recon-5 and Demolitions-2 could teach another player Recon-3 and Demolitions-1.
Each level of each skill taught requires six weeks of instruction during which the referee should severely curtail both players' activities, or a six month course with other activities somewhat less curtailed. At the conclusion of the course, the learning player must roll 9+ on two dice to achieve the skill with a DM of +1 for Intel 8+ and +2 for Intel 10+.
Prayers cannot teach the Instructional skill to other players. Since the greatest asset an individual has is his pool of skills, the referee should exercise great caution in allowing players to hive non-player characters as instructors.
MonkeyX
Stoat

Postby MonkeyX » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:51 am

Did 1e have the 8 week per level training rule because 6 months to instruct another person because you could teach yourself nearly just to rank 2 by practicing on your own?
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:08 pm

MgT1 had a different system. Learning a skill takes Skill Total + new level weeks without rolls.

LBB4 is CT Mercenary.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:46 pm

It's a proven fact that a personal instructor allows instant correction, and greater motivation.
Linwood
Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:20 am

I.m allowing this but I require the instructor to have the appropriate skill at two levels higher than the student(s).
Hakkonen
Stoat

Postby Hakkonen » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:49 am

Why two levels higher?
Linwood
Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:23 am

More of a “feels right” sort of thing, and maybe not a necessary limitation. I wanted to bound the group’s ability to self-teach its characters. But simply requiring the instructor spends as much time as the students on the training may have the same effect.
rust2
Mongoose

Postby rust2 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:19 am

A ship's Library (High Guard, page 46) grants a DM+1 on any EDU check made when training for new skills, and in my mind an instructor should at least be able to do the same.
I agree that the instructor should have a higher skill level than the one he teaches his student (e.g. level 2 if he teaches level 1) and that he should spend as much time tea-
ching as his student spends learning.
"Mind like parachute, functions only when open"
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:52 pm

Diminishing returns.

Instruction is a skill set that improves the transfer of knowledge and making it stick.

I'd say the difficulty increases.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:22 pm

In real life, exceptional students can surpass their teachers. Some teachers are better at teaching a skill than they could ever be at actually doing the skill; consider sports coaches, for example.

OK, part of the deal with sports coaches is that they may know the sport extremely well, they don't have the physical ability. But part of the difference is that their job is to bring out the best in someone else, not to do it themselves.

I don't think it's necessary to cap a student's learning at the lesser of the teacher's Teaching and skill. Maybe the greater, or the average rounding up. Beyond that point, the teacher can still help with the student's motivation, even if the student has reached a point where the teacher can't teach more.