question about sensors and stealth hulls.

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Bulletsponge
Shrew

question about sensors and stealth hulls.

Postby Bulletsponge » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:28 am

I am running the Drinax campaign and if i understand these rules right, the harrier gets -6 to be detected plus -1 for each TL difference between the ship and the sensors trying to lock on. That means a SDB gets a -9 to locate the harrier on the sensors? The operator would need to have a 4 skill and roll 2 6's
baithammer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: question about sensors and stealth hulls.

Postby baithammer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:38 am

The lower TL SDB is TL13 (-2) with Improved sensors (+1) with Improved signal processing (+2) so a total -5, with a Analysing Sensor Data check has a target of 8.

An average sensor operator has a +1 stat mod and skill +1, so 2d6-3 with a target of 8 and requires a roll of 11+. If the sensor operator was experienced ( +2 stat mod and skill +2) that becomes 9+.
ochd
Mongoose

Postby ochd » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:23 pm

I would make detecting a ship a routine task (ie, 6+ rather 8+ for success). CRB page 64 lists 'making a detailed sensor scan' as an example skill check and lists that as routine.

Also, remember if the Harrier is using active radar itself, then the ship it is using it on gets +2 to detect the Harrier in return.

And finally, although it's not specified in the rules, surely range would play a role? If the Harrier gets to short range 1,000km, then it's got to be easier to spot than at 10,000km away, right?

Dan.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:48 pm

I don't know about the game mechanics, but descriptively, an attentive and conscientious sensor operator would routinely detect a freighter minding it's own business and heading straight for it's destination.

An alerted sensor operator would be looking for anything unusual, including a stealthed ship that would be conscientiously trying to be invisible.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:50 pm

ochd wrote: I would make detecting a ship a routine task (ie, 6+ rather 8+ for success). CRB page 64 lists 'making a detailed sensor scan' as an example skill check and lists that as routine.
Implicitly 8+ is the rule. You can of course override.
Core, p150 wrote:Under normal circumstances, an Electronics (sensors) check is all that is required to detect and identify a target that has moved into range of sensors.
Core, p58 wrote:Note that if no difficulty is listed for a check, you can always assume it is Average (8+).

ochd wrote: And finally, although it's not specified in the rules, surely range would play a role? If the Harrier gets to short range 1,000km, then it's got to be easier to spot than at 10,000km away, right?
That would be reasonable (but not RAW). You have to make your own house-rules...

Too large DMs break the system. Perhaps something like Distant -2, VLong ±0, +1 for each range band closer so +3 at Short range?