Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Pirates of Drinax - GMs thread

Postby Old School » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:48 pm

AndrewW wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:34 pm
paltrysum wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:48 pm
And yes, AndrewW is correct, I did write The Glorious Empire. I hope you all enjoy it when it comes out. Old School was a proofreader on the project (and inspired dozens of additional ideas during its development), so if anything is wrong with it, we can blame him.
So we can't enjoy it before it comes out?
Well, some of us can.
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Ursus Maior wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:51 am
@Old School
1) The psion on Hroal Irontooth's payroll is mentioned, rather oddly, only in the background story of Marine Salvesdes of Treasure Ship. Salvesdes is said to be conditioned to Hroal, after a brief battle between the two, in which Hroal overpowered Salvesdes despite his battle dress. After Hroal helt Salvesdes down, a woman removed his helmet and used her telepathic skills to basically enslave Salvesdes to Hroal (PoD Vol. 1, p. 73).
Oh yeah, I remember that now. In my campaign Salvesdes was left at Acrid to be shipped back to the Imperium. Meant to have him reappear later, but then when my players led a revolution on Acrid I forgot about him. Missed opportunity.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:55 pm

We've just begun "The Demon's Eye" in my PoD campaign. It'll be the fifth of the 10 adventures I've run. My group has been wandering in the sandbox for a while now and I'd been wanting them to take a hook for one of the major adventures. They've been courting Pourne, whom they see as an important potential ally to Drinax. They made inroads with local officials there by solving the Pourne "Patrons and Opportunities" scenario and managed to get an audience with one of their high councillors. She informed them that to be an ally of Drinax, she wants Pourne to be on more of an equal footing with the high-tech kingdom. Sure Drinax is basically reduced to a gravitic city and a Mad Max scenario playing out on the planet's surface, but they are TL14, which is considerably higher than Pourne's 10.

Suffice it to say, Pourne has a little tech level envy problem and to rectify it, they asked the group to go to Tech World, taking a Pournian emissary with them, and establishing a trade agreement by which Pourne will supply certain natural resources gleaned from its Venus-like hellworld in return for access to some of Tech World's technology. They want Drinax to act as a go-between because—in my campaign—Pourne is a poor neighbor and has essentially spoiled most of its interstellar relationships. We ran the first session and the group is about to be introduced to Tech World's Scientific Council. I can't wait for the next session to see the action unfold.

The players in my campaign have shunned the piracy aspect of the campaign. I guess different groups of players have different cultures; mine just does not like the idea of piracy, but they do like the idea of creating a pocket empire out of Drinax. King Oleb and Princess Rao have hired Miria Silverhand of "Honour Among Thieves" to operate the Harrier and to do the actual pirating. The players in my group were recently operating a safari ship of all things until they obtained a modified Ktiyhui-class Aslan courier from the Syoisuis clan during the conclusion of "Prodigal Outcast." The Syoisuis traded the ship for the confession. They intend to use it against the hated Yerlyaruiwo clan. There were other elements of the agreement that safeguarded the Drinax Chain from ihatei invasion as well. Oh, and the Syoisuis intend to assassinate Kasiyl, whom they need out of the way for various reasons.

In any case, here's the ship which the players have dubbed Gryphon of the Void:

Last edited by paltrysum on Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
Geir
Mongoose

Postby Geir » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Old School wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:48 pm
AndrewW wrote:
paltrysum wrote:
And yes, AndrewW is correct, I did write The Glorious Empire. I hope you all enjoy it when it comes out. Old School was a proofreader on the project (and inspired dozens of additional ideas during its development), so if anything is wrong with it, we can blame him.
Well, some of us can.
@paltrysum if you ever need another proof-reader, well, I work for free, so I'm worth every penny... Plus, I'll end up buying the finished product anyway, so you actually make money on the deal.
Geir Lanesskog
www.geir.org
Old School
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Old School » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:40 am

Good stuff, paltrysum. We had a blast with Demons Eye, even though it can be more of a railroad than most traveller adventures. And the Ktiyhui class courier is an awesome little ship, if you don’t need cargo room. A 200 ton ship with jump 3 and 12 points of armor? Yes please. Rip out that luxury suite and the shine (no Aslan travellers here) and you’re good to go.

Where’d they steal a safari ship from?
Ursus Maior
Mongoose

Postby Ursus Maior » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:00 pm

Old School wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:48 pm
AndrewW wrote:
paltrysum wrote:
Well, some of us can.
Thanks, you three, for sharing. I'm really looking forward to this year's publications. My group and I are on fire right now with all things Traveller. Good feeling, haven't had that for 20 years.

Plus, I got so many ideas for writing my own stuff. Maybe, I should finally take up on doing some of my own.
liber et infractus
Ursus Maior
Mongoose

Postby Ursus Maior » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:32 pm

Old School wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:40 am
And the Ktiyhui class courier is an awesome little ship, if you don’t need cargo room. A 200 ton ship with jump 3 and 12 points of armor? Yes please. Rip out that luxury suite and the shine (no Aslan travellers here) and you’re good to go.
Incidentally, the luxury suite comes in at 10 dtons, the same as two barbettes. Just saying. The two existing turrets removed, that leaves one with 2 dtons for pop-up barbettes. Slap in a larger computer, add Broad Spectrum EW, and you're good to go. Oh, and removing the sandcaster gives you 1 dton more cargo, since the magazine can now be omitted, too.
liber et infractus
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:33 am

My group talked about ditching the shrine to make more space but they have three Aslan NPC crew members: two male shipboard troops and a female engineer. One of the males caught wind of their plans to remove the shrine and informed them that the removal of a shrine is an insult to the ancestors. Ultimately it was just NPC banter and they could have removed it, but at this point they've kept the shrine intact. I hope to see them use it as a space for character dialogue and drama. If I were a player, I would have found a way to "tastefully" ditch the shrine, but so far they've resisted the temptation to do so.
Ursus Maior
Mongoose

Postby Ursus Maior » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 am

Ancestors are important to Aslan, so there are some really good role-playing opportunities there. Our Aslan player has small scout, which I let him keep for later adventures in the campaign. So his ancestors are taken care of. So far, he has not demanded a separate shrine on board the Harrier. We will see when/if that comes.
liber et infractus
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:35 pm

Ursus Maior wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:39 am
Ancestors are important to Aslan, so there are some really good role-playing opportunities there. Our Aslan player has small scout, which I let him keep for later adventures in the campaign. So his ancestors are taken care of. So far, he has not demanded a separate shrine on board the Harrier. We will see when/if that comes.
Perhaps just a little corner in his stateroom to arrange his ahfa.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:38 pm

Old School wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:40 am
Where’d they steal a safari ship from?
We shifted gears a bit in my group and one of the players who had run one character for the first half of the campaign rerolled. He made a noble and got the Yacht mustering out benefit. He used it to obtain the safari ship.

In other news, we are now further into "The Demon's Eye." An accident just happened at the lab on Tech World. :D