[Pirates of Drinax] GeDeCo's plan

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

[Pirates of Drinax] GeDeCo's plan

Postby Pyromancer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:58 am

What's the deal with GeDeCo? I get the feeling that they have a plan, some kind of grand scheme; but is this plan spelled out somewhere? If not, what is it? What are they doing? Who is in charge?
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: [Pirates of Drinax] GeDeCo's plan: Spoiler

Postby PsiTraveller » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:24 pm

The Plan is spelled out in The Vorito Gambit.

In a lift from Asimov's Foundation a psychohistorian named Jaskarl produced a report that predicts the future of the Imperium. This includes a shattering civil war and collapse and the Aslan Hierate rolling over everything in their path.

The Plan by GeDeCo is to slow the advance by creating pockets of resistance (that only slow down the advance but eventually fail), as well as putting the idea of a resurgent humanity that will inspire citizens across the Sectors and lift people from the darkness at some point in the future.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: [Pirates of Drinax] GeDeCo's plan

Postby paltrysum » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 pm

I've read that chapter in preparation for the day when I will be running it. I wonder if broader implications were intended when it was written. Maybe a better solution to the Rebellion than the Virus apocalypse.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Pyromancer
Banded Mongoose

Re: [Pirates of Drinax] GeDeCo's plan: Spoiler

Postby Pyromancer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:40 pm

PsiTraveller wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:24 pm
The Plan is spelled out in The Vorito Gambit.
Thank you!
Bulletsponge
Weasel

Postby Bulletsponge » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:46 am

I am only 2 adventures in and I feel like it is extremely helpful to have read the entirety of the campaign. Not only for the GeDeCo angle, but there are characters in Drinax that play roles that you might want to introduce early and have them pop in and out throughout the campaign. Just so your players are familiar with them when their role in the story comes up.
ochd
Mongoose

Postby ochd » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:32 am

The Treasure Ship adventure also features part of GeDeCo's plan. It's mentioned there that GeDeCo's motivation to scare the neutral worlds into becoming its clients.

And I think it's actually the rogue branch of the megacorp at Vorito, acting unbeknownst to GeDeCo HQ (which is based in the Imperium somewhere).

Dan.
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PsiTraveller » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Yes, this is a splinter operation on the part of a GeDeCo subsidiary. The section of GeDeCO that controls the Sindal and Tlaiowaha Sectors are running the agenda of the plan. Lando Nierr is the person in charge of the Sectors. He can offer anything up to and including becoming a pirate Lord of Theev to the players.

Personal thoughs: Having read the Foundation series I like the idea of a psychohistorical prediction. Then offer the players the chance to change the math. In my campaign the players did a James Bond heist on the Vorito vault and took a copy of the hologram program, and inserted a virus into the Vorito computer to alter the output numbers. Now GeDeCo is running on bad math and may make bad decisions because of it.

The other option being talked about is reducing the Aslan threat. there are 28 billion Aslan in the Hierate and 8 Billion humans in the Tlaiowaha Sector. 20 Billion of the Aslan live on Tyokh. Making the plague bombs from the Treasure of SIndal Aslan oriented (using Tech World researchers), and removing the -2 penalty could result in 70 percent of the Aslan population being removed in one attack. Removing 20 Billion Aslan would alter the future history of the Sectors for a long time.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:45 pm

Humans using plague bombs on the Aslan would mean that they would return the favor. MAD works in the future just as it does today.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:30 pm

I believe GeDeCo's central HQ is on Deneb. That's some creative problem solving by your travellers, PsiTraveller!

As for committing on genocide on the Aslan, that might just hasten the eventual flow of hordes of Aslan across the Void. After all, the accidental assassination of their diplomat by Dulinor causes it in canon. Just imagine how pissed they'd be if you killed 20 billion of them!
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PsiTraveller » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:39 pm

Well the players looked at the stats they could find for the Sectors they were playing in, and it does not really look good. There are a few train tracks of Mains heading right into the Drinax area, so how best to defend the area. The Ihatei adventure cemented in the idea that the Aslan will never settle for peace and stable borders. The urge to expand and conquer is genetic.

So how do you blunt the Aslan threat? In the Ihatei module my players nuked the camp and took out all the Aslan mid meeting, so no attack this year. At the same time they framed the one Aslan hero with treasonous acts, and gave away the location of the base on the war world. So they upset the balance of power and the course of the war. All this does though is buy a little more time and allow the Aslan to have more litters of males. So they started to think outside the box.

You could look at the entire Drinax adventure series as a lesson in futility. Unless you can seriously alter the balance of power in the area you will eventually get wiped out, pushed out or overrun. Even the first edition module ended with the sad summary of the short lived Drinaxian empire.

So how do you alter the equations in a big way? take out 70 percent of the threat, and hope you can blame it on another Aslan clan. Let the Hierate eat itself in a civil war.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:54 am

Players often jump to using things like nukes, c-fractional bombardment, and other mass-death attacks because they don't have to worry about the consequences of their actions. Mass murder of civilians always generates a response.

And whose to say an enterprising clan leader won't blame the attacks on the humans anyways? It would be far more plausible - and beneficial - to blame the humans and give the Aslan a reason to invade human territory and make it their own. Now they get land AND justice.
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:13 pm

I had a few things to ask about, but purely by chance the posted replies have answered 4 of my 6 queries on this subject and given me ideas for making up my own answers to the other 2 that will suit my similisr in some ways but very different in other ways campaign. Thanks guys and/or ladies