Pirates of Drinax:Treasure Of Sindal question (Spoilers)

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Pirates of Drinax:Treasure Of Sindal question (Spoilers)

Postby MonkeyX » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:54 pm

I’m a little confused by part of this adventure. When the PCs jump to ACE, most likely from Number One it uses half of their fuel as a 1 parsec jump but after discovering the next location they need to jump to is 2 parsecs away, which they are in a rush to jump to immediately. Where do they get the fuel from to enable. A 2 parsec jump? The write up of ACE says it has no hydrogen bodies and the star port is rank E (no fuel). Surely the best than can do is jump back to Number One, refuel, and then proceed to their target system?
PsiTraveller
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Pirates of Drinax:Treasure Of Sindal question (Spoilers)

Postby PsiTraveller » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:04 pm

well there are 6 other worlds, perhaps moons. there could be ice on the other planets to chisel out and process.

You are right though. Ace looks to be a really tough system to get out of if you need a lot of fuel. Nice catch!
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Postby MonkeyX » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:59 pm

I thought so. My current solution is to have fuel from downed Tyrian raiders be available for sale. Has anyone done anything with the ACE hook from the corebook? I’ve just thrown that in as well and was looking for ideas how to expand upon it.
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:14 pm

You raise a good point. It doesn't sound like they thought over the logistics of this event when they wrote it. I recommend just letting your players figure out a solution. They can be pretty creative. If they get stumped, keep your idea in reserve to throw at them as a bit of a deus ex machina.

I had my players in a similar pickle in the Senlis Foederate. At least it's similar in that there was a refueling crisis. They emerged from jump with empty fuel tanks and were attacked by an extremist faction of the local system defense who essentially wanted to claim and salvage the players' far trader. They fought their way out of it, but then, with a larger contingent of enemy ships descending upon them, they faced the dangers of being stuck in a system with no gas giant and little surface water on the mainworld. In addition, the mainworld body of water was highly regulated and guarded. What's more, if they landed, they could be trapped, essentially "pinned down" by SDBs that could triangulate themselves in near orbit and prevent the players from reaching jump point. They pondered going to the oort cloud for ice to convert to fuel but it was too far away and their life support would have run out. They considered travelling to a planetoid belt in the system to mine some ice rocks for fuel which was doable, but they would have to coast with their power plant off for a bit to shake the SDB tail first. They ultimately decided to trade for their freedom. They had a cargo hold full of valuable goods which Senlis needed and managed to negotiate with the orbital starport to let them dock and refuel so they could engage in trade before geting the heck out of there.

tldr version: Players are remarkably creative and can think their way out of seemingly impossible situations when given the motivation to do so. :D
Last edited by paltrysum on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My published Traveller adventures on DriveThruRPG:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... %20Griffen
Cheesy_Nacho
Weasel

Postby Cheesy_Nacho » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Ice Planet.... No Fuel..... Thermite Charges ...... Suck up the lake