Droyne Sport

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Melbourne Accords

Droyne Sport

Postby Melbourne Accords » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:42 pm

One of the player characters in our upcoming campaign will be a Droyne Sport. The Aslan and Vargr are dealt with in the Core Rulebook, but the Droyne are yet to appear. Could anyone suggest how to proceed with Characteristics and Traits? Thank you!
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Droyne Sport

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 pm

It's interesting that they know about the Droyne, but not know how to generate such a character. There must be a reason why they want to role-play that race. What books are they reading?

Or is your plan to make a pre-gen of a Droyne to give out to a player?
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:21 pm

Droyne Character Creation Checklist
Before creating a Droyne character, review the Caste rules below. Droyne character creation uses the following steps:
1. Roll characteristics (1d6) for Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence and Sense; determine characteristic modifiers. Initial Caste is 0 (uncasted).
2. Choose a homeworld. Gain 3 homeworld background skills (from page 6 of the Traveller Core Rulebook). Droyne characters do not receive education background skills.
3. a. Iskyar: Determine caste and subcaste from the Koynis Selection table (page XX); set age at 12.
b. Gain initial personal development and basic training for caste.
4. a. Choose one of the skills and training tables for your caste and roll on it.
b. Roll for Survival in your caste.
c. If you succeed, go to Step 5.
d. If you did not succeed, then a mishap has forced you out of your oytrip. Roll on the Mishap table, and then go to Step 8.
5. Roll for Events.
6. Optionally, establish a Connection with another player character.
7. a. Roll for Distinction.
b. If you succeed, choose one of the skills and training tables for this career and roll on it.
8. Osvayots: Roll on the Koynis Selection table (page XX). Note your new subcaste if that has changed.
9. Increase your age by 4 years. At the end of the second and later terms, Droyne characters must roll on the Aging table (page XX).
10. If you remain in your oytrip, go to Step 4 to continue. Otherwise, go to Step 11.
11. Roll Caste or less on 1d6 to avoid krinaytsyu (voluntary death). Player characters may ignore.
12. Roll for End of Service benefits.
13. Finalise any Connections with other characters.
14. Choose a Campaign Skill Pack and allocate skills from that pack.
15. Purchase starting equipment and, if you can afford it, a spacecraft.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:17 pm

To clarify above. ONLY STR is rolled on 1D6, all the other characteristics are rolled using 2D6.

I would actually like to see this changed though.

Give the Droyne the "Small" trait and adjust their characteristics per that Trait (1D6 STR, but 3D6 Dex). I think it is a much better fix.

Also, I would make all Droyne Psionic automatically. If all Chirpers can use that Invisibility thing, then all Droyne must be psionic.

I would give one of their Benefit Rolls as "Wings". Those mechanical assist devices that allow a Droyne to have the Flier trait in Standard and Dense atmospheres.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
Melbourne Accords

Postby Melbourne Accords » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:56 pm

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your thoughts. The interest is due to earlier adventures played with the previous version of Mongoose Traveller.