Radiation damage on a large ship.

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Tupper
Shrew

Radiation damage on a large ship.

Postby Tupper » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 am

According to High Guard, large ships' crews suffer a degradation in performance for every 10% of their hull points they lose to radiation weapons (if unshielded). This is quite tidy for handling large crews abstractly. The question here is: how would you handle radiation damage to an individual crewmember? Would you have him/her take 2Dx100-500 RADs every time the ship took 10% of its hull points in damage? Or would you assign a certain probability of him/her being radiated each time the ship took a radiation hit?
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Radiation damage on a large ship.

Postby AnotherDilbert » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:19 pm

If it is a military vessel I would assume the personnel is using some appropriate vacc suit and popping anti-rad meds, so not affected in the long term, so I don't have to worry about it.

If the target is civilian I would assume heavy casualties...
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Unless you have a fridge.

Not having actually experienced a nuclear blast at first hand, but having been radiated at various times, I'd say having a bulkhead between you and the targetted area, should provide some form of protection, or if the compartment you're in has been shielded.
Tupper
Shrew

Postby Tupper » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 am

I agree about the long term effects being minimal if there are anti-rad drugs around, but the short term effects could still knock someone out (maybe even kill them) if they took (say) 4D or 6D damage.

Large ships seem to get off relatively lightly from radiation damage. If everyone on a small ship takes 2D*100 Rads from a hit, one could easily see a third of the crew being laid low from each shot. So presumably the large ship effect (-1 per 10% of hull damage) is predicated on the fact that only some of the crew are getting affected by each hit.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:23 am

Tupper wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:51 am
According to High Guard, large ships' crews suffer a degradation in performance for every 10% of their hull points they lose to radiation weapons (if unshielded). This is quite tidy for handling large crews abstractly. The question here is: how would you handle radiation damage to an individual crewmember? Would you have him/her take 2Dx100-500 RADs every time the ship took 10% of its hull points in damage? Or would you assign a certain probability of him/her being radiated each time the ship took a radiation hit?
I use rules from the core book, depending on where a Traveller is and what they are doing on the ship at the time.
Tupper
Shrew

Postby Tupper » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:37 am

Very tidy. So when a large ship takes a critical (and therefore you know where the shot hit), you'd have PCs in that location roll for rads? That's neat because that way they'd generally be in danger every 10% of hull damage... which is consistent with High Guard. Nice one.