Am I serious about starting Drinax or what?!

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Am I serious about starting Drinax or what?!

Postby paltrysum » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:38 pm

If there was any doubt among my players that I was serious about starting this Pirates of Drinax campaign...

https://ibb.co/kUHxrH
https://ibb.co/ea0Tyx
https://ibb.co/kGPoyx

By the way, if anyone else out there is as insane as I am, I can make these 28mm-optimized 2D Harrier deck plans available to you. I printed them out on my handy dandy inkjet, lightly glued them to some black poster board, and then laminated them. I'm impatient and far from a perfectionist, so I rushed it a bit and there are wrinkles in some spots. For those of you with steadier hands and a more meticulous approach, you could produce a really nice set of plans. There are a total of 20 PNG or JPEG files that you need to print out, but for those of you worrying about your ink cartridges, some of the panels hold only a corner of the fuel tanks or something like that. About 2/3 of them are pretty graphics intensive, though, and will use up some ink.

Even if you don't use miniatures, I've found that players love to see their ships realized on a playable surface. They start picking their staterooms and better visualizing the environment. Plus, when they get boarded, you can turn your game into a version of Snapshot and repel the boarders!
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
NOLATrav
Mongoose

Re: Am I serious about starting Drinax or what?!

Postby NOLATrav » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Nice! I was just checking out paper minis and scenery on drivethrurpg... :lol:
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:15 am

Excellent! Let us know how you get on with the campaign!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:38 pm

I will. I've read a few adventure logs from folks who were running it back in MgT1 and they were a lot of fun to read. I might do something similar here. My group of travellers tends to wander off the beaten path a bit, so the stories will probably diverge quite a bit from the "as written" version. I guess that's the whole point of a sandbox campaign, right?

BTW, a few people have PM'ed me about the deck plan graphics. I sent them a link to the graphics which I might as well just publish here in case anyone else wants to print out a set:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Enjoy!
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
NOLATrav
Mongoose

Postby NOLATrav » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:30 am

Cheers, paltrysum... wonderful of you to share!
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Cool stuff!

If you're pasting the prints onto black poster board, any large black areas can be cut away, and leave the black one the poster board showing. Of if you have a laser printer and an inkjet, the areas that don't need color (if any; I can't view the full images on my phone) can go through the laser printer.
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 am

That's actually a really good idea, Steve. Thanks for pointing that out. Since I did the Harrier, I've also created a 28mm modified Type-S scout and used orange poster board to get contrast between the black bulkheads and the poster board. It's probably Laminating 101, but ideally you laminate each side and cut away the excess, leaving a half-centimeter border of plastic. I wish I'd known this before doing my Harrier. :oops:
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:22 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 am
. . . Thanks for pointing that out. Since I did the Harrier, I've also created a 28mm modified Type-S scout and used orange poster board . . .
You're welcome.

And pictures of the finished sheets would be cool.

I thought it might look cool to arrange multi-deck ships on stiff poster board in a stack. But that wouldn't make much sense in actual play, because then how do you push around the miniatures?
Putraack
Stoat

Postby Putraack » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:58 am

Wow, thanks for sharing!
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:40 pm

You're quite welcome! Enjoy. :)