Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Cpt.Future
Shrew
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Near Munich
Contact:

Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby Cpt.Future » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:26 pm

Hello,

there is another question I have concerning the New Traveller combat rules this time.

If a Traveller‘s or opponent‘s characteristics are reduced due to applicable damages, does this have an effect on the current DMs of the attributes as well.

Example: Dexterity falls from 11 to 5 - does the character now apply -1 DM on his next skill or characteristic rolls based on Dexterity?

Thanks for your support in advance.

Best wishes!
Cpt. Future
„Space, Miss Lander, is huge and holds many miracles.“
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2570
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:49 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:49 pm

I have always used current DEX for DMs.

If you get wounded your accuracy should go down.
ochd
Mongoose
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:33 am
Location: Wantage, Oxfordshire, UK

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby ochd » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:35 pm

That's how I have understood damaged stats to function. It's also strongly implied by the rule on natural healing (CRB, p, 79):
A Traveller who requires surgery only regains characteristic points equal to his END DM per day of rest, which means that the Traveller may never heal naturally and will even get worse if his END DM is currently negative (and it probably will be…).
Dan.
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 682
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby PsiTraveller » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:58 pm

Same rule applies for psionics. Your psionic DM is based on your current psi score, so it gets harder to activate a power as you use points throughout the day.
Cpt.Future
Shrew
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Near Munich
Contact:

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby Cpt.Future » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Hello.
ochd wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:35 pm
That's how I have understood damaged stats to function. It's also strongly implied by the rule on natural healing (CRB, p, 79):
A Traveller who requires surgery only regains characteristic points equal to his END DM per day of rest, which means that the Traveller may never heal naturally and will even get worse if his END DM is currently negative (and it probably will be…).
Dan.
Thank you. Yeah, I missed that one. That makes the Game even deadlier ...

Best wishes!
Cpt. Future
„Space, Miss Lander, is huge and holds many miracles.“
NOLATrav
Mongoose
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby NOLATrav » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:39 am

Cpt.Future wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Thank you. Yeah, I missed that one. That makes the Game even deadlier ...

Best wishes!
Cpt. Future
Indeed. And it also helps the players realize how deadly combat can be. Graze your gun bunnies a couple times early on and make them suffer stat penalties - they'll learn quick.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2594
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:12 am

Cpt.Future wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:26 pm
Hello,

there is another question I have concerning the New Traveller combat rules this time.

If a Traveller‘s or opponent‘s characteristics are reduced due to applicable damages, does this have an effect on the current DMs of the attributes as well.

Example: Dexterity falls from 11 to 5 - does the character now apply -1 DM on his next skill or characteristic rolls based on Dexterity?

Thanks for your support in advance.

Best wishes!
Cpt. Future
Yes. In Mongoose Traveller, Characteristic Modifiers are the most used thing in the game. So it's important to keep them up-to-date.
arcador
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby arcador » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:54 pm

Initially, used to HP and similar pools, taking damage directly from the Stats was a distant idea to me.

However, in practice, I admit it's a really clever and simple system that reflects the injury level.
Cpt.Future
Shrew
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Near Munich
Contact:

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby Cpt.Future » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm

Hello,
arcador wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:54 pm
Initially, used to HP and similar pools, taking damage directly from the Stats was a distant idea to me.

However, in practice, I admit it's a really clever and simple system that reflects the injury level.
Yes, totally. Kind of mind-blowing tbh. I am very used to games which simulate hit points without considering secondary effects. MgT2 offers a refreshing and exciting alternative to this very classic concept.

Best wishes!
Cpt. Future
„Space, Miss Lander, is huge and holds many miracles.“
Klooth Quethos
Shrew
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby Klooth Quethos » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 pm

NOLATrav wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:39 am
Indeed. And it also helps the players realize how deadly combat can be. Graze your gun bunnies a couple times early on and make them suffer stat penalties - they'll learn quick.
Gun bunnies... I have a new bit of terminology for a few in my group. Ha!
When in doubt, use the ortillery.
NOLATrav
Mongoose
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby NOLATrav » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:25 am

Cheers, tho the term 'gun bunny' goes back quite a ways. Unfortunately I can't claim it but I'm happy (sort of?...) to see it living on. Hopefully you never get to 'murder hobos' !!!
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5824
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Combat damage effects and charactiscs DM

Postby Condottiere » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Murder hobos happen when you try to reach a logical conclusion regarding guns and resolving issues.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sigtrygg and 13 guests