Who provides medical services for the Navy?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
E4MC
Weasel

Who provides medical services for the Navy?

Postby E4MC » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:36 am

I notice that there is no Medic skill on any of the Navy career skill tables. It seems to me it should be on the advanced training table. I also notice Drive skill is on the advanced training table. Really...drive...advanced training?

New house rules for me. One - Replace Drive with Medic on the Navy advanced training table. Two - Replace Mechanic on the Navy enlisted ranks table with a skill from the advanced training table if the traveller isn't a mechanic and has education of 8+. Two is because, while I can see a good argument for all Navy personnel having a basic grasp of mechanics (basic training level 0), it takes a lot of military occupational specialties to run a ship so I doubt all crew members would be level 1 mechanics if they have the education to learn some other specialty. In fact, I'll probably use house rule Two for the skills granted at enlisted rank 1 for Army and Marines careers also.

Further, I notice that Navigation skill is only available under advanced training for both the Marines and the Army. Navigation is a one of those basic military skills that all soldiers and Marines should have. You can't fight the enemy if you can't find it. So I'm going to switch Stealth and Recon on the Marine and Army service skills table with Navigation and vice versa because in real life, stealth (think sniper field craft) and reconnaissance training are advanced training in the military.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Who provides medical services for the Navy?

Postby phavoc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:30 am

The navigation skill is plotting jumps and courses in n-space. It would be pretty advanced stuff for most people (I'm sure the instructors require you to utilize a TI-994A calculator to manually calculate your courses and jumps because you never know when your computer is going to go on the fritz).
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jeraa » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:50 am

phavoc wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:30 am
The navigation skill is plotting jumps and courses in n-space. It would be pretty advanced stuff for most people (I'm sure the instructors require you to utilize a TI-994A calculator to manually calculate your courses and jumps because you never know when your computer is going to go on the fritz).
No, that is Astrogation. Navigation is planet-based.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:01 pm

Land nav skills can be taught in a few days (and are in the military). Any marine or army character should have basic land nav skills by default.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:47 am

For a space navy, navigation seems more a skill you pick up on or for an assignment, rather than an advanced course.

Beyond general principles or how to interpret GPS, it would seem specific for each world.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Condottiere wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:47 am
For a space navy, navigation seems more a skill you pick up on or for an assignment, rather than an advanced course.

Beyond general principles or how to interpret GPS, it would seem specific for each world.
Using old-school land nav training it's the same regardless of the world, or type of terrain. Using GPS or advanced gear (beyond a compass, which of course would be different for each world), it's super easy! Using a compass, you verify your position to start from, use your compass to get your heading, then you identify a terrain feature and move to the feature. Rinse and repeat. There you go, you've got skill level zero in navigation. Practice and you get level 1 in a few weeks.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 pm

phavoc wrote: Using old-school land nav training it's the same regardless of the world, or type of terrain. Using GPS or advanced gear (beyond a compass, which of course would be different for each world), it's super easy!
Agreed.

In Sweden the Army outsourced the training to middle school long ago, so every school-child knows orienteering (and swimming and skiing for the same reason).
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:12 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 pm
In Sweden the Army outsourced the training to middle school long ago, so every school-child knows orienteering (and swimming and skiing for the same reason).
At one point we outsourced to the boy scouts. Not sure if it's required any more. And the number of boy scouts is certainly reduced!
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:52 pm

Probably border patrol.
baithammer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby baithammer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:26 am

MGT 2ed has first aid covered by the medic skill which is listed on the marines Advanced Education table.
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jeraa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:14 am

baithammer wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:26 am
MGT 2ed has first aid covered by the medic skill which is listed on the marines Advanced Education table.
That is fine and all, but the question is where the navy, not the marines, get their healing from. Unless you are intending to say Naval ships carry Marine doctors as a matter of routine.
baithammer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby baithammer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:38 am

Marines are part of the navy ( Referring in game), so the navy has access to the same pool. ( Also allows the navy budget to concentrate on navy toys.)
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 am

I'd say an autodoc. They don't need sleep, to be paid, and if they're good enough, they're more accurate than humans.
baithammer
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby baithammer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 am

Autodocs aren't so great for first aid in the field, its good to have someone on hand to do the stabilization.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:34 pm

The Marines are a lean mean cleaning machine.

Support tended to be tossed to the Navy.